Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
OH has had a look and said yours is definitely a Holstein, MM
thanks Moobli and your OH

"Bob The Giant Cow" as he has been is nicknamed by a friend, might not actually be a Bob.... I couldn't get close enough today but I have a suspicion He might be a Boberella, or even a Bobandella [in the same vein as Arthur AND Martha].

That might explain the height as there is a chromosomal disorder called Kleinefelters [sp] which displays both sexual characteristics and often results in taller than normal individuals.

I'll keep you updated, as soon as I can peer through his/her legs

In the meantime, His/Her current paddock mates are a pair of very sweet dark-chocolate coloured twin bullocks, breed unknown but they are short, square and blocky, who get highly inquisitive and intimidating when they see a dog [Go on Merlin do yer job!] and one mostly white and aloof beef-type steer who can't be bothered.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 09:48 AM
That is interesting as my OH was convinced your giant is a cow and not a bull or bullock, but I just assumed you had already been able to see
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Wow Chilli is huge!!!!!

Cant wait to see more pics of your boy/girl to find out if it is Bob or Boberella lol
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Some more - not very good - pics of Boborella The Giant Bullock....

Couldn't get very close as they were determined to stay in the yard, but at least there's some scale!

You can see his winkie in this one -

And this one!

Head and shoulders above the rest -

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Haha great pics - and nice to know for sure he is a boy He is a big lad!
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Wow he is tall!!!! In the pictures though his head looks too small for the rest of him. lol
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Got a jolly good view of what's between Boborella's hind legs tonight.

I am sure that steers are NOT meant to have what look like nipples attached to what lurks there!

He/She/It definitely has what looks like an immature udder!

As I was there, two young lads turned up to feed the steers and I mentioned it. TBH they didn't seem to have much of a clue despite being the farmer's sons, and we only agreed on one thing - Boborella (probably now Bobandella) is very tall and they haven't seen one that big before either!

They had a laugh when I said my friend had nicknamed "him" Bob, and that Bobandella might be more appropriate.

They did say sometimes the steers have nipples....???? Were they thick, or having me on, or does that indeed happen?

Never mind, I'll try lurking with camera next week to get a shot of Bobandella's nips.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2012, 09:06 PM
I've never known male cattle have nipples, but the young female freisians I've come across do indeed have tiny udders.

I sound a bit like a bovine nip stalker........
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post

I sound a bit like a bovine nip stalker........
YOU do...? spare a thought for me! I am one!

OK... to look at it another way - have you ever seen a young heifer with clearly immature udders, that also has something in the right place that looks like a winkie, and is well over 5ft at the withers?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
YOU do...? spare a thought for me! I am one!

OK... to look at it another way - have you ever seen a young heifer with clearly immature udders, that also has something in the right place that looks like a winkie, and is well over 5ft at the withers?
Yes to all of those criteria minus the 5ft tall bit! The winkie is most likely hair around the belly button, I have mistaken heifers for bullocks in the past because of this.

ETA: Just had a look at the photos and I do believe that it's the cows belly button you're seeing, it's certainly not like any bovine winkie I've seen before......
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >