Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Think there may be a confusion of the different types of mange, they require different treatment and one is transferable to us and the other is not. If it is Sarcoptic then it is possible that your dog could be reinfected most dogs get it from other dogs, cat or most common foxes.

Sarcoptic is treatable by Stronghold so it could be your dog is being reinfected or that your vet is wrong and it is not scrcoptic mange. Has your vet taken a scrape?

Yes he did a scrape a couple of months back on his ears but didn't find anything so sent some blood away to test for sarcoptes and two weeks later they phoned me and said that his blood has tested positive for sarcoptes so thats how they diagnosed sarcoptic mange I wouldn't have thought he had been reinfected because he hasn't been near any dogs lately - not in close contact and he doesn't get near any foxes really.
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 12:55 PM
stronghold will not get rid of sarcoptic mange[dont care what your vet tells you ] another good cure was vet kem liquid that you bathed the dog in,but sadly not available from vets anymore but can be boughtthrought internet.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by juliekelham
stronghold will not get rid of sarcoptic mange[dont care what your vet tells you ] another good cure was vet kem liquid that you bathed the dog in,but sadly not available from vets anymore but can be boughtthrought internet.

Is that anything like Seleen because I remember years ago bathing guinea pigs in this to get rid of hay mite and it worked brilliantly (they didn't do injections then I don't think) Its like a dark green liquid that smells awful. I tried to get it from the vets again once but he said they weren't allowed to sell it now and it was banned from the country but I managed to get some from the internet a few months ago and have some in the cupboard now.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 01:19 PM
No nothing like Seleen it seems that some have found Stronghold not effective on Sarcoptic but it is in my experience highly successful may be there was a misdiagnosis or misuse.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by juliekelham
I have to say that it got rid of my Barneys sarcoptic mange and it never returned.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 01:41 PM
there are some dogs that exhibit no signs of sarcoptic mange but can still be carriers, although i like foxes, there are a good many in my area, all the places i walk my dogs, i had a couple of dogs show signs of sarcoptic mange mite,and i tried allsorts of things, including alludex wash which was totally ineffective, however, having had my dogs done with ivomec seems to have sorted things out,with no ill effects whatsoever.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi
My GSD had sarcoptic mange when we got him from a resuce a few years ago. We tried the vetkem which helped but didn't clear it, then the vet suggested the injections which we did. It can be really hard to get rid of it - it took months and we both caught scabies from it.

My dog died a few months later, which was probably not related to the injections but I always had a slight doubt with them not being licenced, but we were desperate to get him clear of the mange. I think the injections are probably fine if so many vets recommend them.

Sorry if this is not much help.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Heidi1
Hi
My GSD had sarcoptic mange when we got him from a resuce a few years ago. We tried the vetkem which helped but didn't clear it, then the vet suggested the injections which we did. It can be really hard to get rid of it - it took months and we both caught scabies from it.

My dog died a few months later, which was probably not related to the injections but I always had a slight doubt with them not being licenced, but we were desperate to get him clear of the mange. I think the injections are probably fine if so many vets recommend them.

Sorry if this is not much help.

Thanks Heidi Fortunately it doesn't seem to have passed on to us at all and he has had it since he was about 4 1/2 months old and he is just over 2 years old now so maybe it is just taking a bit longer to work due to the length of time it went undiagnosed (It was being treated as a food/pollen allergy because one stupid vet told me that's what it was right at the start )

He hasn't made his ears bleed for a bit so it is having some effect but he hasn't stopped scratching entirely - which is what I had hoped for
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Scratching is, unfortunately, a learned behaviour, so having scratched his ears for so long it may many months before he will stop even if there is no reason to scratch. The tissue on his ears with be damaged and may well be bothering him even if the original cause is no longer there.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Scratching is, unfortunately, a learned behaviour, so having scratched his ears for so long it may many months before he will stop even if there is no reason to scratch. The tissue on his ears with be damaged and may well be bothering him even if the original cause is no longer there.

Oh right thanks Jackie, I did wonder a bit if he is doing it out of habit because when I shout he soon stops. He seems to be scratching his muzzle and under his chin now more than his ears which is rather odd but then again I suppose most dogs have a scratch every now and again don't they.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >