Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2010, 09:12 AM

Side effects of antibiotics

On going treatment for my youngest labs very dry irritated skin. The vet has stopped the shampoo and given us antibiotics hes taking cod liver oil too. The thing is hes starting to smell strange its really weird. ive bathed him 3 times in three days (which doesnt help his skin but the smell is bad)thinking hes got some urine on him and once hes dried it comes back. Is this something to do with the tabs and/or cod liver oil?
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 09:18 AM
I would suggest you ask your vet. It could be a side effect of the antibiotics but unlikely to be the cod liver oil, as plenty of dogs take cod liver oil with no reports of making them smell.

I understand that the medication given for Cushings can make dogs smell pretty horrible, so maybe the medication your dog is getting could have that effect too?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Could it just be the dogs skin problem?
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2010, 10:04 AM
I dont know hes had the dry skin problem as long as weve had him since feb and has never smelled. he smells of urine all round his neck and between his shoulders its nasty and hes a cuddler which makes it worse.