register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 73 of 84 « First < 23 63 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 83 > Last »
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I imagine the dog had some chow in it somwhere.....

HOPEFULLY it did!!!!!!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But have you ever seen anyone go green with jealousy or bust their gut laughing... like the dog you say eyes turned red with killer instinct
O Lord give me patience.

Irony is obviously lost on you Jackbox.

These are SAYINGS, for goodness sake, like we might say PMSL on a website - we don't literally mean that we actually wet ourselves ! At least, I hope not !!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
"Killjoy" ooops not literary
Very briefly before dashing off to work - can't find this interview I am looking for. It was a transcription of an interview with Cesar Millan about wolf dogs in general, but also Shadow in particular.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
WHO would "punish" a dog for growling. That is so dangerous.

You may "correct" of course that is let the dog it is not acceptable. If mine start i tell them to shut up & go & lie down. Thus diffusing the situation, id not let my dogs escalate into a fight.

If my dog is growling at some one elses dog & that dog is taking no notice, i will ask its owner to remove their animal from my dogs vicinty, my dogs would have automatically come back to me for "proctection "/ "back up "in this situation anyway as they trust me to sort situations out
No-one with any sense Mish ! As you rightly say, we "correct". CM corrects unwanted behaviour or actions. I do not allow Tai to growl at other dogs. He does sometimes, of course, he is after all a dog, not an automaton. I do not want an automaton for a dog. So, if another dog comes bounding up to say hello, and Tai growled ... he never would do this incidentally, but IF he did ... I would reprimand him. If he was attacked by another dog ... say this hypothetical dog came bounding up and went straight for his throat with the clear intent to cause harm, I would immediately let him off the lead, if he were on the lead, if not I would do everything I could to separate the dogs without actually using my hands (IMO a very dangerous thing to do, and only something I would do as a last resort).

Unless under threat or attack, both Tai and us, I would normally not allow Tai to growl at other dogs. As you rightly say, I will diffuse the situation, usually by stepping between the two dogs if this is possible. Often if you can prevent dogs eyeballing each other and/or reading each other's body language, this can have an immediate effect!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
Dog A sees dog B and growls. Most dogs understand this and keep away. Owner A, applies Millan's methods and punishes dog A for growling. Dog no longer growls, but still FEELS the same way. Dog A learns that when dog B approaches he gets hurt. Dog A does the only thing he knows to do; takes aggressive action to keep dog B away.

Thank you Cesar. Hallelujah!
Thankyou, you said it so much better than me

Scarter, yes in an ideal world you can control exactly what dogs you meet and when you meet them - when you all live outside a park that you all have to cut through before you can get anywhere then you cannot avoid situation. I had been sucessfully counter conditioning Mia to Lucy. I didnt know the extent of Lucys training till after - her owner had done pssting and telling off to every dog Lucy had growled at in the past. I wasnt aware of the severity of lucys feelings because she suppressed them already

Gnasher
I am a little confused - you think it was OK for your dog to go for another dog because it later jumped up on you??
Even so there are lots of unstable dogs in the world - you are basically saying that all well behaived dogs should on sight attack my Mia because she has issues?? even if she is doing nothing??

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
O Lord give me patience.

These are SAYINGS, for goodness sake, like we might say PMSL on a website - we don't literally mean that we actually wet ourselves ! At least, I hope not !!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-10-2009, 07:46 AM
O Lord give me patience.

Ooops, yes you lost me on the irony... when you said the dogs eyes turned "red" so now its just "literally" speaking
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Did not see red eyes!!!! & dogs eyes arent red.I saw big bulging dark eyes ,I could see a blue tongue though!!!!!

Funny how we can see different things. (not funny for the dog though!)

CM was Sh8888ng himself too!!!! bet you didnt see that either!!!!
Oh dear, someone else who can't understand irony !! I can't think the word for it - when you say something like "It was as ripe as a Ribstone Pippin", or "he was green around the gills", or "there were butterflies in my tummy, I was so nervous". These are not analogies, I just cannot think of the word !

Some dogs eyes ARE red ... Hal's were red at night, or in the dark.

As for your last paragraph, you bet he was !! Wouldn't you Mish? Come on, be fair, of course he was scared. That Shadow was a big dog - and Cesar had made a bad mistake, and he knew it. Have you never ever made a mistake with a dog? I am sure you have never kicked a dog, but have you never lost your temper with a dog, or realised that a particular course of action you took was completely the wrong one? I have lost my temper even with Tai, bless his heart, he is a dear sweet boy but he can be terribly irritating sometimes. He has a horrible habit of huffing and puffing and panting and sighing if he thinks his walk is overdue. It's not because he is desperate to go to loo, it's just he is impatient to go - it sounds trivial, but believe me when you are on the phone to clients, it is very distracting and very irritating, and more than once I have rounded on him and said if you don't b. well stop puffing, I'll clock you one. I never have of course, but the threat of violence is more than clear in my voice, and it is not good, and I feel terrible afterwards.

I am not insinuating you would ever threaten your dogs Mish with violence, before you get all crinkly with me, I am just pointing out that Cesar made a mistake ... and he got bitten for his pains, and jolly good thing too. I just wish I could find that transcript of the interview with him about it ... it may be on my other computer, I haven't got time now to look for it, but will try to do so tonight, because it was very interesting, what he said about wolf dogs, how he had got a lot of learning to do and was going to be linking up with some wolf dog chap in the States to get some guidance and training because more and more he was being asked to sort out wolf dogs with problems.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Thankyou, you said it so much better than me

Scarter, yes in an ideal world you can control exactly what dogs you meet and when you meet them - when you all live outside a park that you all have to cut through before you can get anywhere then you cannot avoid situation. I had been sucessfully counter conditioning Mia to Lucy. I didnt know the extent of Lucys training till after - her owner had done pssting and telling off to every dog Lucy had growled at in the past. I wasnt aware of the severity of lucys feelings because she suppressed them already

Gnasher
I am a little confused - you think it was OK for your dog to go for another dog because it later jumped up on you??
Even so there are lots of unstable dogs in the world - you are basically saying that all well behaived dogs should on sight attack my Mia because she has issues?? even if she is doing nothing??

No, I did not say that
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Aha, another famous CM link! The Jindo, I remember this episode. The first time I watched it, I was absolutely shocked to the core. I was shocked by the anger, the violence, the sheer wish to kill of the Jindo. I was also shocked by Cesar's reaction. That episode shook me to the core, I have to say, because when I saw it we had not had our new digital telly long, and I had only watched a few DW's when I saw it.

Then I saw a repeat of it, and I started to change my mind about Cesar's reaction. Here we had a wild animal effectively that to all intents and purposes wanted to kill anyone and everything who tried to stand in its way. It met its nemesis in Cesar, who if I recall correctly got quite badly bitten. I have not watched the clip, because I am purposely doing this posting from memory to demonstrate how deeply it affected me. It was this Jindo episode that actually finally won me over to Cesar's methods, finally convinced me that the little guy understands dogs.

I know 7 barrels of horses poo poo will now descend on my head, but I speak from the heart. That vicious wild animal was the Red Zoner of all Red Zoner's and was destined to end up euthanised PDQ if it hadn't been for Cesar.
I'm some way behind as I see the thread's picked up a bit again, so forgive me if I post what has been posted by someone else.

To me the dog was only the way he was BECAUSE of CM ...
I agree with this information here which discusses the episode:

http://www.4pawsu.com/cesarfans.htm

as far as I know the dog was not aggressive to the owner (I try not to use the words "red zone" as it has come from CM and is only his opinion).

I felt as if CM pushed the dog to submit by making the dog fight him so he could do the usual to it.

After, apparently the dog did not "improve" anyway.

If I recall, the only reason the owner wanted CM to help was because the dog would not let him alpha roll him in the house - I suspect because of the slippery floors!! The whole episode makes me sad and angry

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 07:55 AM
When you see the whole of Jonbees Clip (more than what is on that link) i find it tragic.

He is doing it on a slippery shiney floor for a reason, to make it harder for the dog to fight.

Those leads around his neck are disgusting that dog could have died there & then, His bulging eyes, are not of temper or anger, but of fear & lack of air, ...
Yes, I agree - it is horrible to watch and genuinely upsetting.
I worry that one day CM will go too far and damage a dog's trachea irreparably, or kill a dog ...

Wys
x
Closed Thread
Page 73 of 84 « First < 23 63 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 83 > Last »