Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mtc
New Member!
Female 

30-11-2010, 04:01 PM

My dog has bitten another dog ....

whilst walking my dog, (not on a lead) another dog (not on a lead) came into view. These two dogs have a past history, the other dog pinned mine to the ground a couple of years ago, but wasnt badly hurt. because of this, I generally avoid this dog, but this time, they were round a blind corner (big bushes etc) and I didnt see them till it was too late. Mine went over to the other dog, there was a lot of posturing, and before I could get to him, it all kicked off.

I eventually managed to separate them, the owner was too busy hanging onto his other dog which was on a lead. We went back to our repsective cars and exchanged details. I do not have insureance (yes I know thats a bad thing, but its too late now!) but he says he has. His dog needed stitches and sedation to the tune of £384. He says he wants this paid by me. I am ready to pay his insurance excess, but not the whole bill. What do you think?

thanks for reading this, im sorry its gone on so long.

mtc
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Was your dog harmed?

If only one dog had any injuries and needed veterinary attention what makes you think that you should only pay the excess?

Was the other dog insured?

It is the insurer’s responsibility to minimise its costs and they will always seek to reclaim costs from the cause of the injury, in this case you and your dog. This is how premia is kept to a minimum. Normally the claimant's insurers will counterclaim against your insurer, as you are not insured they need to get the money back from you.

Do you have household insurance? Quite often third party injuries can be claimed off this, check your policy and with your provider.

Remember, if you now decide to take out insurance most companies will require you to sign that your dog has not shown any aggressive tendencies as this might affect your ability to be insured or the costs of insurance.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 04:17 PM
So your dog started it? I think you should pay the whole bill, or at least half of it.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Both owners were irresponsible for letting the dogs run up to each other, with owners no where near them - so to be honest I doubt either would know which dog started the fight. Spilt the vet bill down the middle and pay half each, and learn a lesson from it.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-11-2010, 04:23 PM
It depends on what you want to do.

In the past, I've had dogs (offlead) come at mine (on lead) and a fight followed. Unbeknown to me at the time, two of the dogs needed vet treatment -if the owners spoken to me in a civil manner I would most probably have paid half. As it was, the police got involved - this got right up my nose and I refused to accept any responsibility whatsovever (at that time in Scotland there was no legislation covering a dog on dog incident).

Just last week mine was offlead and bit/gripped another dog (onlead). I considered that as being my responsibility, apologised to the other owner and offered to meet any vet costs.

The way you describe it, I'd say it's pretty much up to yourself, two dogs, both offlead -go halves if your feeling generous.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Both dogs have previous therefore both dogs should really be on leads. Six of one half dozen of another the way I've read it, I wouldn't be paying anything out.
mtc
New Member!
Female 

30-11-2010, 04:25 PM
My dog has a puncture wound that became infected within 24 hours (antibiotics for 5 days) vet advised that there may be something wrong with the other dogs teeth(!??)...

If the other person claims on his insurance and then I pay the full amount, is that not defrauding the insurance company?

I do have household insurance, I shall look into that.

I called his alledged insurance company and was told that they do not load premiums based on past claims, so his insurance should not increase beyond the usual year on year increase. I am waiting for them to email me this info, so that I have it in writing.

I am aware that it may be a problem in the future, to get insurance, but I will just have to cross that bridge.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-11-2010, 04:28 PM
If both dogs needed treatment, consider it a lesson to both of you and try to put it down to experience.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2010, 04:30 PM
id offer to pay excess if hes insured hes not losing out and the premuium will go up next year whether he claims or not mine does and i dont claim,
mtc
New Member!
Female 

30-11-2010, 04:30 PM
I have to admit, I do think it was my dog that started it, but who can ever be sure?

He was fine and friendly to me when he thought I would be paying the whole bill, he told me the dog was fine and bouncy, but as soon as I started talking about him claiming, he got nasty and shouted about seeing a solicitor...

oh well, theres nothing I can do now, just wait for him (or his solicitor) to contact me.

thanks for your thoughts tho
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >