Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 02:23 PM

Let off lead for first time today

Hi all

Today I really went for it and I let Georgie off lead for the first time. I was confident and I have been training Georgie on a very long lead for a few weeks now and his recall is spot on...So today was the day to test if he is ready to be let off

Got to the park, let him off straight away and he stayed by my side and kept looking back at me. I repeatedly told him he was a good boy. He absolutly loved it, sniffing in all the bushes and grunting at every smell there was I recalled him a few times, and he came back straight away. I have chosen not to train him with treats - just plenty of good praise if he comes back as soon as he's called. I cannot believe I'm sitting here and it all went so well He didn't run off once! Getting back towards the park gate, I put him back on lead, and he was ok with that. He has had a really good run, but we didn't meet any other dogs today Maybe best though as I was putting him off lead for the first time.

Back home, Georgie has got the biggest pigs ear ever, as he's been such a good boy!

Do you think he will get braver as time goes on, and not come back when he's called, or do dogs learn from a very early age about all this? My CKCS has always been let off lead from a very early age and I've never had a problem with her

My biggest fear is him running off and not coming back
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-01-2007, 02:40 PM
And his biggest fear is probably him losing you Sounds like your doing well so far. You'll have your off days, they all do. But he'll be fine I'm sure, just take it one step at a time
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2007, 02:42 PM
That is fab!!!!! what a clever boy.

your fear is the same as mine - that is why i have never let otis off lead in a park. (i'm so bad!!)

He always runs about on his 50ft long line but i'm too scared of losing him!!!!

jx
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
And his biggest fear is probably him losing you Sounds like your doing well so far. You'll have your off days, they all do. But he'll be fine I'm sure, just take it one step at a time
Think your right there Ian He kept looking back for me and checking everything was ok. I really am stunned, I thought he'd leg it and be gone for dust but he was sooooooooo good

I'm teaching him "GO" and that is for him to run a lil way ahead, and then I call "HERE" for him to come back. That's how I've trained his recall, so I did the same when he was off lead and im so so stunned he didn't run off.

** TT runs off coz Georgie was so good today
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Mate at work (very experienced with dogs) told me I should find a quiet part in the forest and just walk, let the dogs go ahead and always choose a diff path from them. Worked fine for me with four Labradors lol First time I did it they took a bit of time, must admit I was sceptical, thought I was gonna have to go back for them, but sure enough when they realised I wasn't there they came running to find me. After a while they wander ahead less and less because they worry about losing you (rather than the other way round).
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Max always runs on slightly ahead (maybe about 10ft), but always stops and checks behind him to see if I'm there!

He will then run back to me, for a treat or a stroke, and run off a bit ahead again.

He does twice the distance I do, as he always comes back to check I'm still there!
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Well Done!

It is lovely to watch them off the lead for the first time.

I remember when we let Jess off the lead for the first time, she didnt know what was going on and wouldnt walk more than 5 paces away from us...

Now there is no stopping her she loves running around.

Yes I believe Georgie will get alot braver as time goes on so keep up the recall training.
Jess had always been a star for months off lead I could trust her completely and she would always come back when whistled, then one day about 3 weeks ago, she just ignored me ran off and went on a road!

So now I am very wary of her off the lead and she is only allowed off in places there are no roads around.
She still comes back to me all the time its only if she sees something interesting, like another dog or child in the distence she goes, still looking around to make sure im close though.
This has happened twice.

I doubt georgie would run off and not come back, just make sure he satisfys his curiosity and make sure you dont let him off near roads.

Good luck with the training.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 05:00 PM
I often hide from our young lad just to keep him on his toes. He tends to go a fair distance in front of me so the odd hide and seek game makes him keep checking that I am still around. He now regularly checks to see that I am still in sight.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Nothing quite like the feeling you get when the first off lead run goes well.
Well done to you both!
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by lizziel View Post
I often hide from our young lad just to keep him on his toes. He tends to go a fair distance in front of me so the odd hide and seek game makes him keep checking that I am still around. He now regularly checks to see that I am still in sight.
Yup, thats another good way. I often do that, step behind a tree or somat keep em on their toes. At the end of the day they need you probably more than you need them, and they know it. Try put the onus on them to worry about you running off and not the other way round :smt002
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >