Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
These are not true gypsys they are travellers and horrible people. The old true Romany gypsies were and are nothing like these people.
Did you watch it?
One of the main people was romany he was the one doing the bird fights and his family were British not Irish...
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Can't say I enjoyed watching it but was intrigued by the cockfighting.

I have seen (without wishing to) cockfighting in Asia, where they attach long steel spurs in place of the fighting cocks' natural spurs. That is altogether a more dramatic and bloody affair, but part of me thinks it's a faster and better death for the losing bird than being slowly pecked top death by the other. I noticed these did not have their natural spurs - were they cut off to alter the fighting style, or would the travellers normally have used the artificial ones off camera?

They were certainly a cockfighting (Game) breed and these usually have natural spurs growing up to 3 inches in length.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Did you watch it?
One of the main people was romany he was the one doing the bird fights and his family were British not Irish...
I watched some of it and was appalled. My family on my fathers side were all the true old Romany Gypsys and were too busy working hard to earn a living to behave in that way. They valued their animals and treated them with respect, not in a soft soppy way like we do, but their animals were very important to them.
Just because the mans family were british does not make him a true Romany.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I watched some of it and was appalled. My family on my fathers side were all the true old Romany Gypsys and were too busy working hard to earn a living to behave in that way. They valued their animals and treated them with respect, not in a soft soppy way like we do, but their animals were very important to them.
Just because the mans family were british does not make him a true Romany.
My family on my mums side are Romany, yes they did treat their animals wih respect because they were crucial to their livelihood, my great grandfather was a hawker and made wreaths etc to sell, his horses pulled his traps he sold his goods from.

I always try to point out to people that there is a big difference between true gypsies and travellers

Romany gypsies actually originate from India mainly
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3