Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Long lasting natural dog chew?

I bought Darcey an XL pork roll chew today, kept her occupied well but didn't last the 20 mins in the car and was eaten before we got home.
I've been looking at the deer antler chews but I'm thinking they will be along the same lines as the hoof chews and are tasty for a while then she gets bored and starts eating my car

Can anyone recommend a long lasting natural chew?

Anyone tried dehydrated pigs trotters?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Stagbars are the longest lasting in my house and I have two professional chewers.

They last weeks.,
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Stagbars are the longest lasting in my house and I have two professional chewers.

They last weeks.,
Or years in this case! Dogs aren't overly fussed by them but will go through phases of being interested. Probably managed to chew an inch or so off the end despite some really determined chewing. I've heard of dogs getting through them really quickly so I guess it depends on the hardness as they're a natural product and must vary from antler to antler.
Aside from antlers, I find pizzle lasts a while. Cows ears, despite being quite thin, last a while, and hooves are very tough but similar to the antlers, don't keep the dog's attention until they're finished - they last maybe a few days to a week, with the dogs chewing them on and off.
Another alternative could be to stuff a Kong and freeze it, a frozen Kong can last my two from 20-45 minutes depending on what it's stuffed with. Mostly I use their raw mince, but I'll sometimes make a fish and veg blend, sometimes I'll use a tray of Naturediet, there are endless posibitilies. If she's not used to a Kong then I'd suggest slowly building the difficulty up before offering a fully frozen one, so she doesn't get bored and ignore it.
A frozen marrowbone can take a real long time but depends on whether they'll get bored - Kiki spends about 20 mins then loses interest, whereas Casper was gnawing on his for nearly 4 hours constantly when I gave them one each to occupy them when we were at my mum's house! He hadn't even finished it when I had to trade it for some treats to pack the bone away ready to head home, I'm sure he would have carried on for at least another hour or two!
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 01:20 PM
I've tried Kongs but she either finishes them really quickly or gets bored and starts chewing the car, depends on what mood she's in.
I've tried a bone and a hoof chew but neither keep her attention long enough. The pork roll was about the best but she ate that too quickly.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Stagbars!!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Pizzle last around 30 mins here.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 01:26 PM
If she is getting "bored" and chewing the car instead then I would wonder if the behaviour could be caused by an anxiety about being in the car?
Another option could be going for chews/Kongs that are easier but using more than one - if it's a case of her being too lazy to bother with the tougher chews, she might prefer emptying two or three loosely packed Kongs compared to one challenging Kong, for example.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Rupert is a car whinger, so I get the really really huge raw hide chews (Wilkos) last for a good 45mins (then he falls asleep!)
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 03:27 PM
I thought it was anxiety in the car to start with but she jumps in the car fine and her tail is always wagging. She's slightly less 'manic' when Cooper is in with her but it's more anxiety that she can't get to me, as she's in the boot and I'm in the drivers seat. I can't have her on the back seat as she bounces around too much.
I want a chew that will hopefully last a few days and that will keep her occupied when I am out feeding my horses, as she has to stay in the car at the moment as she's not ready to be left at home.
I probably will end up getting a stagbar(s) for her to chew at home, but I'm not sure they will do the job in the car as I don't think they will keep her attention enough.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 04:34 PM
You can soak the stag bars in a watery gravy.......sort if adds flavour and increases the interest too......they are a real hit here,but the dogs go through stages with them.if I want a real attention grabber I wedge a tripe stick as a v shape into the kong so that is almost impossible to get out......that works!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >