Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradored
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2012, 05:14 PM

Cut paw - labrador

any advice to treat a cut that's between the large pad and the pad of the toe area of my labs foot, He did it out on a walk through the forest today and lifted his foot up for a short while then carried on as he normally does, he is not showing any signs of it causing any pain, but it looks quite deep and weepy to me. ive got hibiscrub, vet wrap, savlon etc etc or should i just leave it alone as he is not bothered by it
any advice appreciated
thanks xx
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm no expert but from experience of a Greyhound who was always cutting her feet I would say the priority is to keep it clean, So the Hibiscrub is a good idea and maybe keep it covered if poss.
If it is deep and still weepy in the morning, a vet visit maybe necessary.
Good luck
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 05:29 PM
http://www.basc.org.uk/en/how-to/gun...ing-part-2.cfm

Keep it clean, covered and onlead walks for a few days then let it breathe whilst still on onlead walks. My Lab x is always cutting himself, I've had two pad cuts to deal with..
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Cut paw pads are a pain

When my dog did hers I covered it for the first day. Also bandaged it up to take her outside to toilet.

The rest of the time I generally kept the bandange off and washed it at least 3 times a day with a saline solution and also hibbiscrubbed it.
Some people suggest to put a cream on it to stop if from drying and splitting too much which may help.

I attempted not to walk Kestral the entire time although I have had to give in and do a couple of lead walks the last few days!

Hope it heals ok. I was only going to take Kestral to the vet if it didn't heal, got much worse, or appeared to be getting infected.

You may find looking at some other threads useful:
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=158669
labradored
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2012, 05:43 PM
thanks for the advice, i have had a look at the links. his cut is not to the actual pad tho but on the skin between the pads where the skin is quite thin anyway and the cut is like a proper slice as tho he has stood on something sharp. poor lad - hes not at all worried tho