Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lausmer
New Member!
Female 

07-07-2011, 05:24 PM

Testacles not dropped on a 6month old pup

I have a new puppy he has been to the vet several times for shots and other things. I recently signed up w/Banfield and in his first checkup the Dr stated that 1 of his testacles had not dropped and he would probably need surgery. It seems odd that the other vet did not notice. I dont want Doctors doing surgery just to get paid if it is something that will correct itself.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Its possible that the one only just dropped as its around the 6 months age that they do
So the other vet had nothing to notice

I dont know whether it will sort itself out or not but I dont thing the vet is trying to rip you off here, if it needs done it needs done
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by lausmer View Post
I have a new puppy he has been to the vet several times for shots and other things. I recently signed up w/Banfield and in his first checkup the Dr stated that 1 of his testacles had not dropped and he would probably need surgery. It seems odd that the other vet did not notice. I dont want Doctors doing surgery just to get paid if it is something that will correct itself.
Well I do not what breed you have but it is possible the other testicle may drop, most people will wait until a year before making any decisions.

Vets do not cut open dogs for fun, a retained testicle really needs to be removed. Whether or not the other dropped one is retained is a decision you will need to make after discussion with your vet re the pros and cons on your particular dog in your particular circumstances and environment.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Can you feel the other testicle? One of my males used to pull his testicles up, when he was felt, until he was about 7 months. My vet thought he only had one though his breeder had checked at 10 weeks before I had him. I would keep an eye on it but not worry till he's 10 to 12 months.
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:23 PM
I had a male with a retained testicle which was well and truly stuck in his groin,vet had to really search for it when he operated,he said there was no possibility off it dropping on its own as it really was stuck.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Males should have both their testicles by 12 weeks of age. After this they may still drop but should not be used in a breeding program.

I would probably wait until he has done most of his growing first (usually around 12 to 18 mths depending on breed) and if it still hasn't come down by then I would have him done. A retained testicle left where it is, is at high risk of becoming cancerous.