Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 06:12 AM

Natural parastie prevention and treatment

Urgh, its that time of the year again (and the use of is entirely justified.

I found a flea on Poppy yesterday, and two on one of the cats (gross) I was about to order the usual effipro and indorex, along with some wormer for next month.

But, I dont know safe it is to use Indorex on the carpets when my son is rolling around on the floor, ditto he is at the stage where he likes to touch the dogs (Kerrie especially) with him having eczema (in varying degrees) I just dont know what reaction these products may cause.

So I am hoping you lovely people can come up trumps, I am looking for effective (and safe) flea prevention (and treatment) for both dogs and cats (I am convinced they are the cause of the fleas, the dogs never got them with our last cat who never went out...and J and L like Bunnies too much!)

Anyone?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Well I do not use flea products on my dogs, a clove of garlic a day (~or garlic and fenugreek tablets when I travel) appear to do the trick.

I use Indorex/Acclaim every six months and I would check the MSDS for info, If you spray rooms and then leave a for a few hours I can't see any problems but check with doctor/vet/MSDS.

Other people swear by Brewers Yeast tablets.

Rabbits of course are FULL of fleas.

Garlic juice sprayed on the coats may help (see Dorwest) and there are tags which are supposed to work (not convinced) that you can put on collars.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 06:38 AM
I was thinking Garlic might the best way forward..will have to call vets and ask about whether it is safe for the cats, ditto Indorex.

Brewers yeast...be worth a try.

Have you any experience of those plug in flea trap things? I found those late last night on amazon...

what do you do about worms?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 06:40 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
I was thinking Garlic might the best way forward..will have to call vets and ask about whether it is safe for the cats, ditto Indorex.

Brewers yeast...be worth a try.

Have you any experience of those plug in flea trap things? I found those late last night on amazon...

what do you do about worms?
Because my dogs do eat undomesticated rabbits I worm them regularly with Drontal as of course these animals are not worm free..............
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 06:42 AM
No...I have seen innards of half eaten rabbits (left on the picnic bench) gross is not the word!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 07:32 AM
The only anti-flea treatment I've used for the past year is the CSJ 'Billy No Mates'.

However, because of lungworm warnings, and having now seen snails in the garden, I've just started using Advocate.
I do hate using chemicals but feel this risk is too great to ignore.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 07:35 AM
You will see from the CSJ feedback site that Billy No Mates does not work for all dogs.

Neither, IMHO, does Brewers Yeast, Garlic or Garlic and Fenugreek.

I think it helps, I would not RELY on it if I lived in tick infested area though.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Very very rarely see ticks, there are some areas that we have encountered them, so I avoid those now

Maybe a good combo of things will work
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 07:40 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=1

has anyone tried these?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 07:41 AM
No but I have seen write ups in the press about these type of product and they all say that they are a waste of money.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >