Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bitsy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2009, 07:10 PM

intestinal problems from a dental treatment

First i would like to say hello to anyone who remembers me, it has been some time.

my poor princess has been through the mill lately, it started with a tooth extraction then due to complications from anasthetic(they think) which presented as a dog who looked like she swallowed a beach ball, she has been operated on and then re stiched twice in a week, (the running stich they put in the 10" wound in her stomach burst) her bowels were filled with gas but she was still pooping? the vet now is worried that her bowels are not working properly and she may need to take emequell from now on to help stimulate the bowel movement. she is still recovering from the second attempt to stich the 10" wound the surgery left and looks like we will be recovering from the reaction to the anasthetic for the rest of her days!! there is lost more to the story but i thought i would limit it here as it would take some time to read the whole lot i need a bit of advice on good foods to give her to help her digestion which wont cause a build up of gas, also something to help get rid of the gas? also has anyone dealt with this type of problem any advice would be greatly appreciated
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2009, 07:19 PM
poor poor princess. i hope she feels better soon.

what do you feed her on now?
bitsy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2009, 07:33 PM
hello there

she is on minced chicken at the moment and a little of the wainwrights natural turkey and rice (wet food)

im worried she is not pooping enough
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi Bitsy I remember you.

Sorry to hear your dog is ill, you don't say how long ago she had the operation.

If recently she will need small frequent easily digested meals like white fish/chicken/scrambled egg/cottage cheese.

Hasn't the vet suggested a long term suitable diet.
I would certainly feed her 'wet' food and not a complete dry food. There are a number of good wet foods around, tinned Science Plan may be suitable, Nature Diet Chicken, also Burns do a tinned food and pouches which contain mostly fish. All rather pricey, if you have it check your pet insurance, some allow for a special diet under certain circumstances.

I hope your girl improves very soon..
bitsy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2009, 07:12 PM
hi Mini its been a while

she had her first op for the tooth extraction on 31st July, another for the gut problems on the following monday 3rd and then yet another for burst stitches on sat 8th

she is on around 6 very small meals a day its a difficult balance to make sure she is not bloated from hunger! she has pooped the last couple of days but sems a bit bunged up again now

i will try the natures diet she loves that one. might try some charcoal biscuits to soak up the gas, spoke to the vet today she is allowed to go for a little walk again so that should help the digestion a bit too. i wondered about natural live yoghurt?

poor girl has had a hard life, hip displaysia, cattarac(sp sorry) and a bad case of dandruff
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2009, 07:50 PM
keep to the wet food and the 6x daily. natural yogurt will be good for her stomach, and if she's getting a bit constipated a half teaspoon of olive oil per day will help.

feeding her 6x daily will stop the gas from building as she wont be getting hungry as her stomach will always have food to digest.

i did post the new perdue study on Bloat, i dont know how to do the linky thingy so just do a search.

i went through the same as you 3yr ago with my H. I ended up feeding him raw and have never looked back.
bitsy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2009, 07:55 PM
glad to hear its not just us

have cooked some lovely chicken for her sill keep her on that in small amounts, so worrying i just sit and look at her stomach watching for it to get bigger

will get some olive oil tomorrow too, anything to help her, i think i have repettative (sp again) frm rubbing her tummy tonight lol
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by bitsy View Post
glad to hear its not just us

have cooked some lovely chicken for her sill keep her on that in small amounts, so worrying i just sit and look at her stomach watching for it to get bigger

will get some olive oil tomorrow too, anything to help her, i think i have repettative (sp again) frm rubbing her tummy tonight lol
you'll watch her like a hawk for months and worry every time she eats.

dont rub her tummy to much, pat her back like winding a baby, i still do this with H.

when you do start walking her again DONT walk her 2 hours BEFORE or AFTER food, and ration her water after exercise and food, but in between leave her water down.
wet food is better then dry. i had H on tinned chappie for months before i changed to raw. its gentle on the stomach too.
dont be afraid to ring your vet if you have any doubts or questions, its cheaper than a visit and can be reassuring.

keep us updated.

julie
BrightPaws
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Hello
I would add Aloe Vera gel to her diet, it is a fantastic way to balance the system and aid digestion ... mine are permanently on it for general good health!!

becky
bitsy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2009, 06:26 PM
well still not much to pick up in my little green poop bag! spoke to the vet yesterday who said we can stop antibiotics now and also gave us some lactulose to help her along. having a hard time in deciding if we are giving her enough food, after all she is a great dane and is only getting half her food qty at the moment.

we have increased her emequell and the vet has orderd some cisapride to see if that helps, im hoping that being finished her anti biotics (always make me constipated) and the nice natural yoghurt along with all the rest should make her more regular.

fingers crossed, im always soo happy to her her fart
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >