Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by loolahoop View Post
oh no i feel terrible now, i didnt realise people did that! - how naive am i!?
i googled puppy farm so sad tha people do that...

i didnt see the pup myself as my partner went on his own to collect him, he said he see mum and the other pups, apparently he chose our one as he was most shy n felt sorry for him.
he isn't KC registered, the man did give us like a pack thing that said they dont KC register them as they want the pups to be family pets n not for competing etc.
i was given a "pedigree certificate" saying his breed, DOB and the registered names of his parents, grand parents and great grandparents.
it also says he was last flead/wormed 25.03.11

well anyway.... vets went well she looked him over, he licked her lol, she said he looks healthy, good weight, no fleas, she felt his tummy n said it felt ok, but if the diahorrea continued until thurs to take him back striaght away, but sed if he is eating and drinkin it should soon settle.
he had his 1st jab but she didnt worm him as the pack from the breeder said he was only done a few days ago, but she also gave me a few things to look out for, so im feelin a lil more confident now

i did want to ask tho... what would you suggest i fed him? like any particular brand?
thankyou all for you advice xXx
Awww don't beat yourself up! Sadly puppy farmers rely on the un-informed and naive

I am glad the vet has given him a clean bill of health. That is a relief

As for what food, well always feed the most expensive food you can afford. I feed Orijen and can highly recommend it. Stay away from Bakers, Pedigree and Iams
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 07:20 PM
What a relief that the vet has given a clean bill of health for now, you must feel so much better.

Don't dwell on the puppy farming aspect, it's over and done with now and with luck your little one will suffer no lasting ill effects - at least with you he has found a caring home with people who are willing to try to sort problems out.

As for the food, the main considerations are that your chap actually likes it and that it is nutritious without any "nasties". If you want to go the tinned route, then there is little better than good old Chappie which is extremely good and quite cheap. The range of complete dried foods are bewildering and you may need to do a little shelf trawling before you hit on something that is right for you...........but basically, unless you are going to work your dog then stay away from the high protein/high performance food, because this might encourage excitability if there is no outlet for his energy. There are so many choices here, but basically once your puppy has matured you just need a good maintenance food. This is one occasion when talking to your vet may not be the best idea, as they will often push extremely expensive brands! If you have a local pet suppliers then go in and ask for their advice, most of them have nothing to gain by pushing a particular brand and they should be knowledgeable.

Try not to worry too much.......if you are calm and not stressed then your dog is more likely to settle!
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Thats a relief, I was worried he had parvo or something.

As has been said, buy the best food you can afford. If you want to feed a complete diet, Pets at Home do a good one, havnt tried it myself, but I know plenty that do. There is also Burns or James Wellbeloved that is readily available at pet stores. He needs to be kept on four meals a day until he is around 16 weeks old, then reduce to three, and at six months or so, you can reduce to two. I still feed two meals a day to adults, one morning and one at night. I feed a complete diet, but like to add some variety and they love vegetables, scrambled or boiled eggs and sardines.

Only other thing to know is that being a Collie, he will be sensitive to some worming and flea medication. Make sure your vet knows about the MDR1 gene....best stick to Drontal and Panacur for worming and Frontline for flea treatment.

Good luck.
loolahoop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2011, 06:23 AM
Thankyou again for all of your replies and advice!
well until yesterday my pup still had diahorrea and started not eating again!! (still drinking) but the diahorrea became just like water!!
well i wasnt sure if it was the food that the breeder gave him, i foned him and found out what it was, he said was just called "drivers animal feed" but also he told me to mix it with some of that "meat" in a roll? kinda looks like a savaloy?!
well anyway... i went and brought some of Pets at home own brand complete puppy food, and i have been giving him that mixed with a little warm milk (just threw away the breeders feed - figured that cuddnt get any worse!)
well as soon as i put it down he scoffed the lot!!!!! and he ate 3 meals of it yesterday - he did still have diahorrea, but i didnt expect miracles to happen in 5 minutes!
well i have come down to see him this mornin, he come runnin up to me tail wagging (had been just hiding under a chair, until i gave him lots of fuss before now) and the poo on his paper is still a lil loose (soz TMI) but nowhere near water!!! i picked his bowl up and got his food out n he actually got excited about it, even jumping up my leg - so there is definitly improvment! xXx
loolahoop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2011, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by SallyG View Post

Only other thing to know is that being a Collie, he will be sensitive to some worming and flea medication. Make sure your vet knows about the MDR1 gene....best stick to Drontal and Panacur for worming and Frontline for flea treatment.

Good luck.
will be looking up about the MDR1 gene myself, and drontal and frontline would be the ones i use anyway- what i used for my last dog - just coz they are the most advertised i suppose lol xXx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Good news but please DONT give your puppy milk! It is the WORST thing for diarrhoea and many dogs are lactose and casein intolerant.

If you have to mix the food with anything only use water
loolahoop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:08 AM
oh ok, thanx, wont do that again then x
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 08:20 AM
good to know hes eating now
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Glad to see todays post.... sounds like he is settling in well and is happy bless him...
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Thats good news. I agree about milk, but mine have always been ok with goats milk, which is what most breeders will rear puppies on.

MDR1 information

http://www.collienet.com/health%20to...e%20defect.htm
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >