Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 03:24 PM

I don't mind you having a religion.

But please don't try to make me believe it too!

In the last month I've had people try to stop me in the street to try and get me to go to their church, and this morning I had someone come into the block of flats to deliver a cd through the letterbox and a leaflet telling me more about God. Mind you the opening line is forget about global warming, well they sure have if they are delivering cds in plastic and also a paper leaflet through every door in town, most of which will more then likely go straight in the bin.

Now I don't mind people pratising religon at all, infact its nice, it can create diversity, but what about live and let live? Why do people have to try and force their beliefs on me? I don't try and make people not believe in any God like me, and I don't think the people who gave me these things would be impressed if I kept trying to give them leaflets disputing the exsistance of God, so why can't they just leave me alone and let me approach them if I want to learn about religon?

Rant over.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Don't even get me started on this one. Really.

I'm sick of it. The crap through the door, the Jehovahs stopping me in the street AND coming to the door, stopping me in the town etc. Glasgow city centre is full of them!

I've had to rearrange several things that I've had organised for months in advance, including visiting a relative who I don't often see and a dental appointment which is over 20 miles away.

The reason? Because we are forking out well over 1 million pounds because the Pope is coming to town! Over 20 miles of road closure because of this! I'm really not amused by any of it. If the Pope wants to visit and Catholics want him here, then they should be paying for it - not me. I don't want him here and I certainly don't wish for my taxes to be used on such a thing either.

My appointments were confirmed before his.

We are forking out millions for this (and yes, I know it costs a lot of money and manpower for demonstrations and things as well, which I don't agree with either), when they are cutting back our already stretched Police force and the NHS!

There is no sense in this at all, if you ask me.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I would be annoyed with all that too, the religous people in town are really annoying, they work in pairs, and its mostly when I walk the dogs I get stopped, and my two are very people friendly, and if I'm with the dogs one will go out of their way to get the dogs attention while the other one is trying to force different leaflets on me, kind of makes me wish I had 'scary' dogs. Mind you the leaflet I got today has a lovely diagram on the back to show me how when I die my soul is going to go to hell and then the lake of fire for eternity unless I am religous, and they are trying to get me through the leaflet to go to all sorts of meetings to save my soul.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 05:16 PM
After writing that post a advert for 'the trouble with the pope' (channel 4, monday at 8 ) came on the telly, maybe thats a sign...
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 05:24 PM
I hate that, yeah, feel free to believe in whatever but I'll thank you to keep it to yourself.

I usually tell them sorry, but bye now. I did argue one to a standstill once asking him how he knows that the bible is correct as historians and archeologists are finding new things all the time in regard to the bible. New books have been found and are being translated.

He was not too happy with that...
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Thats the thing, something that happened yesterday can have different accounts from different people, but if you wasn't there you won't truelly know what happened, how are we honestly meant to believe something as old as the bible, which is not only old, but written by people who we will don't know, with evidence that can dispute aspects of it? Many can and do believe it, and thats good for them, but not for me, I just don't understand how I am meant to trust the bible fully? I need evidence to believe, and I believe science over religon, although I also believe things I have experienced. But I would never tell someone that what they believe is wrong, I would also not try to make someone believe what I do, belief is personal, belief makes people different, and the differences enrich communties, but imo people should be allowed to be different, to believe what they want without others trying to change them.
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2010, 06:01 PM
i couldnt agree more,
you can believe in whatever religion you like, but please dont try and ram it down my throat.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 06:01 PM
I agree with Westie N !!
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 08:32 PM
My signiture should give you all a clue as to my views on religion.

When the 'bible bashers' come to the door here...the family sends me. Mainly because they find it funny to watch me resisting the erge to tell them to f off, and the only reason I've resisted is because so far, all the ones I've delt with have been so polite and reasonable, that they've not imo deserved such a hostile response, and because truth be told, I find their futile, and quite weak attempts to try and convert me entertaining.

But really though, if people want to believe in 'fire breathing whales and what not", then thats up to them, but don't expect me to believe it too, and don't expect I'll look upon the indoctrination of young kids to favourabley either, because I won't, infact it disgusts me frankly.

And as someone else said, if the Catholics want their leader here, then they can damn well pay for it themselves, though I'd rather he wasn't comming at all regardless.

God, (pun intended), aren't I in a brilliant mood today lol.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-09-2010, 08:42 PM
but they havent forced you?

they just asked for a chat and sent you a present

both of which you are free to ignore
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »