View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2004, 11:35 AM
hi all, as a non smoker, i agree with a smoking ban inpublic spaces. I currently work in a pub, but they have dedicated smoking and non smoking areas with a very high roof and they do not allow smoking at the bar, so its not too bad.
I think it is impossible to ban smoking altogether cos the tobacco companies will lose too much money. But perhaps 'only' smoking in their own homes?
You smokers out there will of course differ in opinion!
But for all those people who 'do' want to quit, perhaps a public smoking ban will help stop them! haha
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Think what consenting adults do in private is up to them, but in a public place the same rules should apply to smoking as to any other activity that may offend or harm another person. When we did not know it harmed others beyond making them smell then perhaps smokers could be excused, now we know it causes harm do we even have the right to light up, if having asked if it is OK we receive the polite go ahead.
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

27-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi Laura - Robert put:

In my opinion, smokers, not all but most, are the most selfish people you could possibly meet, every where you look in the streets is the evidence that they have passed by, on the beaches here you can't sit on the sand for fag ends, in the pubs there's a blue haze and you come out smelling like an ashtray.

I would say you could consider yourself to come under the "not all" bit of Roberts comment
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2004, 12:22 PM
It was the MOST bit that got me , thats tarring (sorry bout the pun) a helluva lot of people with the same brush but I suppose its just his personal opinion which I respect regardless.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2004, 12:24 PM
I have listened to many points of view and have read all the posts in detail . I don't agree with a total smoking ban ..next thing it will be banned to wear red shoes in certain places incase they offend !!!! I also disagree that he ban will make people give up YEAH RIGHT I would say that Robert has his opinion and I don't take it personally I smoke he dosen't so I can't expect him to understand but I do think I am not selfish I only smoke in the garden (even when raining) and at work all but one of us smokes so I am considerate to that member of staff and don't smoke when she is around me ..as for the litter side of this debate I think that's a whole new issue ??
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

27-07-2004, 12:50 PM
I think that those people who smoke considerately are quite entitled to do so.

I don't like to see mothers pushing prams smoking, or people smoking in restaurants, or people dropping butts, or people walking round with them brushing my arm and burning me, or blowing it in folks faces...but if someone wants to smoke at home or in a designated smoking area with decent air conditioning then live and let live I say
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2004, 01:00 PM
I don't like to see ......people walking round with them brushing my arm and burning me, or blowing it in folks faces

I had to laugh - reminded me of being in Glasgow last Saturday afternoon - it was mobbed and raining and I felt exactly the same about people with umberellas I am only 5ft so the perfect height to get my eyes poked out (sorry I know this is o/t but just what you said reminded me of this )

Laura
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2004, 01:11 PM
LOL I will go and find a little box and me and my fan and ciggies will be happy in their till I am allowed out LOL LOL and they say it's a fair world we live in .... :smt044 live and let live
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

27-07-2004, 01:26 PM
This might be strange as I am a smoker, but I agree with Chloe. I hate to see people smoking while walking down the street or around childen. We have a few young girls on our yard and the tea room floor is littered with stubs although there is a bin. They wouldn't do it at home so why drop them when they are out. My OH is a non smoker always has been and he doesn't tell me to stop but just to cut down a bit which I have. I get very stressed and often suffer with depression, I find a ciggie helps me to chill. Some people turn to drink or drugs I smoke.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2004, 01:34 PM
agree DD I have never smoked around my boys and never will my OH is a non smoker and i respect the fact that he dosen't like the smell in the house ( he used to be a 40 a day smoker ) if I was inconsiderate I would say I will smoke where I like but I don't I have kids ....I don't smoke many a day but feel if I want one I will ....anyway off the my box now for a puff before the rain comes
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »