Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 10:35 AM

holidays - kennels

Just wondering how many of your dogs go to kennels when you go on holiday?

We are looking at different options for our dogs, We go away for 2 weeks in the winter. Before the dogs came home we deceided that holidays they would go back to the kennels we got them from. They offer a boarding service and the dogs are familiar with the kennels and the staff.

I guess i'm just worrying because the dogs are used to being in our home now and i dont want them to be upset by the experience.

Our families are not dog people, a few would happily walk them while they are staying at the kennels but would not have them stay at their house, The family that would let them stay have got a cat so its not an option!

I just really wondered what other peoples experiences are of kennel stays and how it affected their dogs.

The other option of course would be a dog sitter but the ones i looked at seem very expensive and if the dogs are home i would want them to have more than an hour or so a day spent with them.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Both of mine go into kennels when/if we go away. I just booked them in yesterday for August actually.

They seem fine with it all. They always go to the same one and are kenneled together so they are not alone as such.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 10:42 AM
I get a person to come and pet and house sit for me. There are various services that offer this. But then mine have never been in kennels, not sure how they'd cope
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Thats reassuring. I was worried it would upset them. The staff are brilliant with the dogs though and the dogs seem to recognise them when we go back. like you say they will be kenneled together too so that should help. The good thing about this kennels as well is that they just have greys there so they are used to the breed too.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
I get a person to come and pet and house sit for me. There are various services that offer this. But then mine have never been in kennels, not sure how they'd cope
I think it would be very upsetting for them if they had never been in kennels. At least for ours they spent alot of time in kennels before they came to us.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Greyhounds are generally very laid back.. Of all of my three it would be the Lurcher I would worry about the least. He takes most changes with a pinch of salt and I would be more than confident he'd be fine.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Personally i wouldn't put my dogs in a kennel. I did it with my old dog for one day when we were returning from a holiday and had to stop off at a wedding on the way. He hated it and really panicked.....but then again he was a rescue who had only experienced the rescue kennel.

Where in the uk are you? A friend of mine take dogs in to her house and has three whippet lurchers. She is excellent, but is a long shot as i don't expect you are anywhere near waterlooville in hampshire are you?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 10:51 AM
My dogs come with us wherever we go....(shame I can't leave the kids though!)..

No seriously they are part of the family...so family holidays they come too..we just make sure they go places they can come..if they can't we go elsewhere..

I don't trust anyone to look after my dogs basically..so I won't leave them..

You hear of all these "accidental" matings that took place whilst dogs were in kennels..*(how many are true and how many are lies to hide the shamefaced people who know they shouldn't have I don't know)*
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 11:00 AM
I think its sensible to take them back to the kennels where you got them from - as you say, they know greyhounds generally and they know your dogs specifically.

My rescue dogs have always been fine going in to kennels - I think they settle in to the routine quicker than dogs who have been in their own homes all their lives. (its always me that has the problem, though I try not to let them show it, usually by making my OH take them!)

Must admit, we haven't been on holiday since getting Stumpy, but in her case I would definitely put her in the kennels at the shelter where we got her because I know they know her and her needs.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
My dogs come with us wherever we go....(shame I can't leave the kids though!)..

No seriously they are part of the family...so family holidays they come too..we just make sure they go places they can come..if they can't we go elsewhere..

I don't trust anyone to look after my dogs basically..so I won't leave them..

You hear of all these "accidental" matings that took place whilst dogs were in kennels..*(how many are true and how many are lies to hide the shamefaced people who know they shouldn't have I don't know)*
Lol, we are snowboarders and going to canada! Cant imagine our 2 snowboarding! As for the accidental breeding they are both neutered and its not a boarding kennels, they are a rescue centre for hounds so i trust them completely, just wondering about the pyscological effect it could have on the dogs more than anything really.

Nowhere near Hampshire unfortunately catrinsparkles! Also Phil is mr antisocial with other dogs so that prob wouldnt be a good idea!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >