View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

31-03-2005, 06:54 AM

Puppy Teething

19. Puppy Teething: Most of the teething and chewing as apart from mouthing and nipping starts at about 4.5 months old. This is the time that the little piranha teeth laughingly called puppy teeth start dropping out, as the new adult teeth start pushing through. It takes anything up to 8 months for these new teeth to set in the jaw, whilst this is happening the pup has a need to chew.

To help soothe this and save your fixtures, fittings and furniture. Get the pup a plastic flower pot. Not the thin brittle ones but a fairly thick substantial one, this will help his gums and sooth the itching. Another great help is get a knotted rope you buy as a tug soak it in water and put it in the freezer. The ice that forms really helps hot and itchy gums. Also freeze carrots and whilst frozen give to teething pups a great and nutritious soother.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 09:06 AM
The plastic flower pot is one of Teagan's fav toys!
I didn't give it to her, she stole it from the garen!
Now it's a tiny piece of plastic!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Frozen knotted rope and carrots work really well.
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Aloe Vera jelly is great
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Freezing stuff is great, although Archie isn't teething yet, he loves chasing ice cubes around the kitchen! (and then chasing the mop when I clean up the mess!)
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 11:40 AM
~All 6 of my dogs just love ice cubes, Lily (4 months) included, luckily we have an icecube making machine in our kitchen, Lily just loves scrunching away on her icecubes and if you go to make yourself a drink, all 6 of them sit there waiting! Carrots are also a favourite! or the edges of the hard plastic bed!
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Mine threw a temperature of 103, went of his food, sick, had the runs and was lethargic. I took him to the vet who thought he had an infection .

I waited for the nappy rash ,which didn't happen, and gave him baby teething powders which worked.
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2005, 12:21 AM
I use face towels. Wash cloths, whatever you want to call them. If you take about 6 of them, soak them all, ring them (leave them rung) and stick them in the freezer, you can replace one when your pup thaws another out.