Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roger73
New Member!
Male 

18-11-2017, 07:58 PM

My new dog

We have had our dog now for 3 days, he is a great dog but dose have some problems.
He is from a dogs rescue, his age is 11 years, Jack Russell.
Prob 1: he has humped 4people, 1 me, 2 our friend a lady, my sister, and a work man.
Prob 2: My wife was playing tug of war with him then she stopped and he grabbed my foot or should say my toe and pulled as if to play tug with my toe.
I did have my sock on and it was painful but he never broke the skin.
I had to pull him off by his collar, I was a bit frightened, it seems to be when he gets excited.
All other times he' great, good on his lead, sits on our lap.
We have decided not to play tug any more but I can not trust him, I seem to be afraid.
Our last dog was so laid back but we will persevere.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Well tbf he's a terrier and was originally bred to control vermin so can be very focused when playing tuggy or when ragging a toy, squeaky toys get them very hyped up too. If you want to avoid him getting over excited then avoid over stimulation. Leg humping is again generally over stimulation too, just tell him to stop it every time he attempts it.
Roger73
New Member!
Male 

18-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Well tbf he's a terrier and was originally bred to control vermin so can be very focused when playing tuggy or when ragging a toy, squeaky toys get them very hyped up too. If you want to avoid him getting over excited then avoid over stimulation. Leg humping is again generally over stimulation too, just tell him to stop it every time he attempts it.
I think your right, we have got rid of all toys that we could play tug and the squeaky toys he has remove the squeak and binned.
He has been a lot more nicer today, he is asleep on my wife's lap at the moment.
Thanks for your reply.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2017, 10:07 PM
Also bear in mind your new dog has been through great change and is stressed and over excited .
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2017, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Roger73 View Post
We have had our dog now for 3 days, he is a great dog but dose have some problems.
He is from a dogs rescue, his age is 11 years, Jack Russell.
Do you know anything of his 11-year history@
Three days is not long for a dog to get comfortable in a new environment.