Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 10:46 PM

Is this a seizure?

One of our lot this evening had a very odd turn,

Started by eye spinning, looking and acting dizzy, heavy panting, only lasted about maybe 1 min no longer.

No other symptoms, no change in behavior and seems fine now xx
M3lRox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi there,

I am not an expert so please dont quote me but it def sounds like one. Good luck with this very scarey
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 07:40 AM
Anyone else?x
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Hmm not sure to be honest Jem, I've had this with Ruby once, rushed her to the vet after it happened, the vet said she could have had something stuck up her nose which had caused a panic as it made its way up her nose or she could have been stung by something, her temp was sky high. They gave her an injection of some sort to be safe & 20 minutes later she was fine.

Had you been out for a walk or done/fed anything differently yesterday?

huge hugs for ya mrs xx
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Just a normal day yesterday,

The dog in question was hot afterwards so we sat outside for a bit, didn't go to the vets or anything as it was over within a min x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi Jem, how old is the dog concerned?

Started by eye spinning, looking and acting dizzy, heavy panting, only lasted about maybe 1 min no longer
there are a number of things which could cause this reaction both medical and external.
It may never happen again .

As a precaution I would have a vet check, it may not reveal anything but could rule out things like a heart condition.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 09:27 AM
6 and a half,

Have watched like a hawk all morning and all is quiet on the western front so im a bit stuck on what to do really x
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 02:58 PM
My older dog (14) had these symptoms last week and I rushed her to the vet thinking it was her heart (she has a murmur). If I'd stopped to check her gums I would have realised that it wasn't but I did panic a bit! The vet diagnosed a vestibular episode, gave her a steroid injection in case she had inflammation in the brain and put her on vivitonin. She is a lot better now although still a little unsteady on her feet and has a slight head tilt.

I know your dog is only 6.5 but the litter brother of my epileptic dog also displayed these symptoms a few months ago (aged 6) and was diagnosed with vestibular disease. He is also much better now although no longer participates in competitive agility.

Thinking back, my older dog has displayed these symptoms a couple of times in isolation going back many years. After taking her to the vet I was advised that there was nothing they could do if the symptoms had gone and just to monitor her.