Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 03:56 PM

I have a dog walker

well my fellas younger brother (11 yo in a couple of months) came to us asking to walk the dogs a couple of times a week for a few pounds so he can put it towards his pocket money so he can top his phone up.

He is taking one at a time and always on lead. The dogs get a little bit of an extra walk and it helps me out too =) cant afford to give him much but happy days all round

ATD x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Are you sure a 10 year old could physically hold them back if they decide to lunge? that would be my main concern TBH. I wouldn't let a child that young walk dogs alone, sorry to say.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 04:24 PM
yer he is fine, he has been out numerous times with me before hand. if i was in any doubt he would only be allowed to take the puppy.
ATD x
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Bless him for wanting to earn money, not many youngsters want to do that nowadays

However I personnally would never let a 10 year old out on their own, let alone with a dog.

Would he know what to do if another dog attacked? Does he know how to cross roads safely? Does he know the right commands? All these things on top of being aware of other dangers! That is a lot of responsibility for a child
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 04:35 PM
yes there is one road to cross which there is a green man crossing. He knows the commans. if you look at everything the could happen no one would go out of the house. may not be everyones cup of tea but it works for us so each to their own =)
ATD x
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Are your dogs insured? I would check the fineprint on your insurance to see if you are covered if a minor is in charge of your dogs when an accident happened - get the feeling lots will exclude this.
I personally would not let my 12 year old stepsister out with my two without accompanying her, I know mine are a bit bigger but I wouldn't be comfortable with a smaller dog either. She's very responsible but no matter how responsible she is and whether she can control the dog she's walking, I'd never want to put her in the position where another dog may approach her and she may get caught in the crossfire. Also with dog theft on the rise, I would not fancy her chances against a thief - I have certainly heard of theives approaching people to steal their dogs off them. Yes, it's a few "what if"s but it's happening more and more often nowadays.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 04:55 PM
ATD you know your dogs, and the child so I'm not going to argue with your decision.

I wouldn't - but then my dogs are strong and both can lunge for different reasons.

I help with some Akita rescues and when a dog gets rehomed, there is a clause in the rehoming contract that says children under 16 not to be allowed to walk them, but then again, we're talking about big dogs, heavier than your average child so not really that relevant lol!

p.s I've just noticed we live near each other! I'm other side of Leigh to you xx
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 05:00 PM
hay,
my dog are not insured.
I would like to see them try and steal the dogs especially suki, where he is walking is a main route, between my house and his, inbetween there are friends and family close by. the distance isnt that far. then he takes them to his and plays with the individually.like i have said if you look at all the if's in life you would become a recluse lol.

i have recently moved to ince =)
ATD x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
yes there is one road to cross which there is a green man crossing. He knows the commans. if you look at everything the could happen no one would go out of the house. may not be everyones cup of tea but it works for us so each to their own =)
ATD x
That is beyond the point.

Do you honestly KNOW that if one of the dogs lunged in pursuit of a cat or squirrel, the 10 year old would be able to hold on to the dog? if the boy is walking them along roads (which it sounds like he is), you can't blindly ignore this risk. Dogs can be unpredictable and it is with good reason that most people wouldn't let a 10 year old child walk a dog in a built up area.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
That is beyond the point.

Do you honestly KNOW that if one of the dogs lunged in pursuit of a cat or squirrel, the 10 year old would be able to hold on to the dog? if the boy is walking them along roads (which it sounds like he is), you can't blindly ignore this risk. Dogs can be unpredictable and it is with good reason that most people wouldn't let a 10 year old child walk a dog in a built up area.
firstly my two older dogs dont lunge into the road, they are more interested in the treats he has. yes the puppy may but he is more than capable to hold the dogs. they are better behaved on leads now i would have not have allowed this before. i know my dogs and the child in question and would not put either at risk.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >