Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-09-2010, 06:18 PM

1 hour of fetch or 1 hour walking? ?

What is better for your dogs health an hour of playing fetch or and an hour of walking on a lead ??
What is more likely to burn those calories ??
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 06:21 PM
I like to do both on a walk.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I like to do both on a walk.
That was not an option ..
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Fetch. Definitely. At least the dog breaks into a run occasionally.
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Fetch! Or he just trots by my side...
The best of all would be fetch in water =D
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 06:56 PM
I would never dream of playing fetch for one whole hour with my dog quite honestly . Too much strain on her joints, let alone the risk of collapse by over exertion, but then again I am the world's worst worrier! In fact, walking for an hour wears my youngster out far more than even 10 minutes of playing fetch! I like to get out on my bike, then she can just trot along at a nice, steady pace and that wears her out a treat for 50 mins a time, and totally knackers me!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Depends, fetch is of course gonna burn fat - but does nothing in the way of mental stimulation
I prefer 1 hour romping tru the woods, with sights and smells, playing with me and chasing fox scents, doing some tricks and fetching toys
TBH I dont really rate lead walks or endless fetch - but thats just me
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I would never dream of playing fetch for one whole hour with my dog quite honestly . Too much strain on her joints, let alone the risk of collapse by over exertion, but then again I am the world's worst worrier! In fact, walking for an hour wears my youngster out far more than even 10 minutes of playing fetch! I like to get out on my bike, then she can just trot along at a nice, steady pace and that wears her out a treat for 50 mins a time, and totally knackers me!
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Depends, fetch is of course gonna burn fat - but does nothing in the way of mental stimulation
I prefer 1 hour romping tru the woods, with sights and smells, playing with me and chasing fox scents, doing some tricks and fetching toys
TBH I dont really rate lead walks or endless fetch - but thats just me
Agree.

Retrieving will burn more, but I certainly would never play it for an hour. Walking trumps fetch any day.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 07:35 PM
I would say a lovely run through the woods would be better for the dog than fetch, lots of smells and sights, my dogs prefer it anyway... they will play ball games in the garden but prefer to be smelling things etc on their walks/runs..
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2010, 08:49 PM
I think mental stimulation is key, and that involves lots of different sights, smells and experiences.(such as the woods as others have mentioned). I always think of it as giving some great dreams lol

Playing find the treat/toy using the nose, even in the house. After 20-30 mins of that Luchi is ready for a nap, and she is a very energetic large 11 month old. It also practices some important core commands. Her tail wags the whole time we play that game. she loves it.

Fetch is fun, but I would not use it to exclusion.

If you can only choose fetch or walk, I would do 45 mins walk and 15 mins of fetch.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >