View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hippy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2017, 02:39 PM

Staph skin infections without antibiotics?

Hi, my four year old lab has had skin infections each year, usually in the summer. The vet has prescribed anti biotics and it has cleared up. It now seems like she has it again but I really don't want her to have more antibiotics if I can help it. She hates taking them, it upsets her tummy and I just don't think it can be that good for her.
I have been making sure to dry her, especially round her belly and inside back legs, where the most trouble is. I have purchased an antibacterial shampoo but only used it once so far. I was thinking once a week. I have also purchased an iodine spray and have been spraying this on 3 times a day for the last couple of days.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Obviously I will take her to the vet if it doesn't get any better.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Hi there, is the infected area red and spotty/swollen, and do you think the wet grass/dirt is causative?
hippy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Hi, it was patches of red sore looking scabs. I think the recent warm but damp weather was the cause. I have since had her to the vet and got some antibiotics for her as she was uncomfortable. They are working a treat but it is a shame she has had to take them.
Bertie's Mum
New Member!
Female 

29-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Hello I'm new, so relieved to see this post. My Scottie is plagued by staph infections, affecting his paws...really nasty boils, furunculosis ( so ) that we humans can get too! Any advice would be appreciated, he's on antibiotics, usually needs 6 week courses ��