Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 09:18 AM

Pacreatitis

just wondering if anyone else has dealt with pancreatitis in their dog. My maltese had an acute bout of it and almost died. He has recovered pretty much but still has runny poo's. He had been on prednisone for allergies, which he now can't have so he is itchy, tried every was known to man. He is on an allergy free diet which doesn't make much difference.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 06:39 PM
I have a GSD who had an acute attack of Pancreatitis when he was a juvenile he was so bad he couldnt even keep water down. He was successfully treated and as got no lasting problems.
I also have a dog with allergies, as your dog had allergy testing it may not be his food but an environmental cause.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Just a thought if he is constantly loose he could have aquired EPI, have a TLI blood test done he may need pancreatic enzymes added to his diet.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Pancreatitis killed my dog, its an excrutiatingly painful disease, Im sorry to hear your dog had it too, but delighted he has got over it.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2009, 06:43 AM
The vet said doing allergy testing is not always helpful as you may not be able to take the allergy causing substance away. And EPI is an idea but again the vet said they doubt it as he has put on 200g since the pacreatitis. Might get the allergy test anyway and keep a close eye out for any EPI indicators..... ahhhhh the stress of not knowing whether to push the issue with the vets or not (they are awesome vets though).
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2009, 06:49 AM
My old'un had it, but recovered well with meds.