06-05-2013, 02:30 AM

Transition lenses - Anyone got them?

Transition lenses - Anyone got them?

What do you think of them?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-05-2013, 06:21 AM
Do you mean photochromic lenses made by Transitions Optical, or photochromis lenses in general?

Photochromic Lenses
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 09:41 AM
I've got them. I think there are pluses & minuses with them. You don't need separate sunglasses but I feel a bit of a berk in the middle of winter when it's sunny & you look like you've got sunglasses on plus I think mine go too dark & I can't tell how bright it is outside & when I go in shops they don't change back very quickly.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-05-2013, 10:15 AM
From what I have been reading about the lenses made by Transitional Optical as compared with [to?] other manufacturers of photochromic lenses, the difference is in the £££ as Transitional Optical charge for their name.

When photochromatic lenses first came out I tried them but was not very impressed and have never had similar since then. My bifocals have graduated tinted lenses so that bright light does not hit my eyes and they are fine for inside wearing.

I do have a pair of prescription sunglasses but they are distance only and also have a graduated tint, albeit darker at the top.

Photochromatic lenses, whether made by Transitional Optical or any other company, may, or may not be what you need for your eyesight. Just as multifocal/varifocal are not suitable for me but half and half bifocals are, everyone requires lenses to suit their own eyes.

And there is no "one size suits all".
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 05:15 PM
I have them....bL**dy marvelous.
I will admit that they take a while to change but I don't notice that, only other people, so it doesn't bother me.

I have cataracts that sunlight will make worse so my eyes have to be protected against the sun.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Hubby had to take his back and changed for normal lenses as when coming inside he couldn't see a thing for a couple of minutes until they adjusted. Same happened when walking from sunshine to shade. For him, they were just plain dangerous
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 08:27 PM
heard a few people say they are nightmares to drive in as they react to UV which gets filtered through a windscreen! But this is all word of mouth !
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Taffsmum View Post
I've got them. I think there are pluses & minuses with them. You don't need separate sunglasses but I feel a bit of a berk in the middle of winter when it's sunny & you look like you've got sunglasses on plus I think mine go too dark & I can't tell how bright it is outside & when I go in shops they don't change back very quickly.
Oh yes I sooooo agree with you. I'm not sure I like them. I got them as my mum has Macular Degeneration, which is hereditary and although the lenses won't stop it happening, the Optician said it could help slow down the process and will protect my eyes.

On a dull day and you go outside and the lenses darken, I feel folk are looking and wondering why I am wearing sunglasses
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Hubby had to take his back and changed for normal lenses as when coming inside he couldn't see a thing for a couple of minutes until they adjusted. Same happened when walking from sunshine to shade. For him, they were just plain dangerous
Sounds horrible, no I don't have problems like that, it's more a case of feeling self conscious knowing they have darkened when there is no sun about.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 10:43 PM
[QUOTE=EmmiS;2691875]heard a few people say they are nightmares to drive in as they react to UV which gets filtered through a windscreen! But this is all word of mouth ![/

Mine revert back to being like normal lenses within short space of time of being in the car. I don't have problems driving at all.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >