View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pet-village
New Member!
Female 

13-06-2006, 08:49 PM

Luca's Season - increased salivation & unusually quiet, normal for a bitch in season?

Hi all
wondering if any of you guys can help. Luca our golden brindle boxer bitch is in the 12th day of her second season and she has been fine up until now. Since this morning she has been really quiet which believe me is very out of character for her. Tonight she has begun dribbling from the jowl's quite a bit, and she didn't want to jump up on to the setee , she has also just been sitting by the back kitchen door looking at us as if she is off her head. She has eaten both her meals today so she isn't off her food. I do know that bitches get tummy ache when they are in season, but it is her twelfth day and she has had no symptoms before today. Woody our castrated boy has tried mounting her today and she has gone at him, we just don't like seeing her like this and wondered if any of you guy's have had the same with any of your bitches.
Cheers for any help
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-06-2006, 09:04 PM
hi
day 12 is the day most girls are actually in season so some of them do change in behaviour it should pass as she goes into the coming out stage.
also the fact your boy has shown she is on heat now.
my girl usually is more quite coming in the 12 days before but when she is in from 12 to around 20 for her she is more her normal behaviour after that is gets gets back to her normal self.
but hol will tell tob to go away she is less tolerant with him the fact its only a 2nd it could be her body/pattern is still adapting to having seasons.
i was told it can take 3 or 4 before the hormones settle into a pattern.
hope it helps but it is normal.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2006, 09:11 PM
My girls are at their peak around days 11 - 13, these are the days we would take them to stud if they are to be mated, I have had one peak on day 20/22 although this isn't normal.

Bitches can be as eager to find a male, as males are to find her at this time.

Just keep a very close eye on her, I'm sure things will settle down in time, but she really needs to kept well away from the 'boys' for at least another 2 weeks to be on the safe side.
pet-village
New Member!
Female 

13-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi Guys,
thanks for your info, i know boxer bitches peak days are on average between the 11th and 13th day, my boy dog has being trying to mount her for over a week(the castrated one poor chap) sorry i should have said that not just today, the thing that concerns me is the dribbling and staring into space and her reluctance to come to us, maybe it will take a couple more seasons for her hormones to kick in properly seeing as it is only her second one, she went really scaredy catty the last one but there was no dribbling or reluctance to come to us the last time.Just totally out of character for her.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-06-2006, 09:53 PM
hol was very nervous and timid with her 1st she has had 3 now and i don't see that much of a change in her now.
nothing like the 1st time.
i was looking in to it thinking has some thing caused the change but it was purely season related.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by pet-village
the thing that concerns me is the dribbling and staring into space and her reluctance to come to us
i would say she has other things on her mind...she is at the peak of her season and her hormonal feeling are very strong ...don't worry when it passes she will return to her old loving self again
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Hi Petvillage the behavior may well be connected to the season but there could be other causes too.Maybe check Lucas mouth thoroughly for any problems that could have caused the increased salivation, (like something caught across the roof of the mouth) then keep a close eye on her and if the behavior continues and you are uneasy I would get the vet to check her over .
Cossack
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2006, 02:25 PM
The whole bitch season thing is so scary. I had only males and one spayed bitch up until two years ago. I now have two young bitches. One becomes quieter and more sensitive through the season and the other, who is normally laid back and happy, turns into a demon. She wants to kill all males who cross her path, until that period where her body tells her it is time to mate.
The problem is that there is always the worry of pyrometra, where the change in behaviour may be the only clue something is going on. I knew a bitch that ate normally and showed no outward symptoms other than an unusual irritability. When taken to the vet on this flimsy piece of information we found she had a closed pyrometra and were days away from losing her. The timing of your bitch and the interest of your male though seem to indicate though that this is just normal hormone behaviour.
Good luck.