View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2010, 06:10 PM
I don't care who goes to uni or how long for as long as they pay for it themselves (however long it takes) and it doesn't mean we have to pay even more tax than we already do.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
But that is the whole POINT of this thread, there is NO charge at the point of entry!

ANYONE can go to university provided they meet that institution's entrance criteria.

They only pay back if and when they earn more than £21k.
Sure, but who wants to start their career at the age of 21 with a potentially £40,000 loan (tuition fees, maintenance loan, paying for accommodation) hanging over their head? talk about kicking you in the bollocks before you've even started.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 06:11 PM
That is what the rest of the world do.................
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
That is what the rest of the world do.................
Not true. There are similar systems such as the Student Loan Company we have over here in plenty of other countries.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 06:20 PM
there are loan companies everywhere.

The rest of the world largely finances its educational needs, university or otherwise via payments from parents and students working.

Borrowing money is done by everyone at all stages of life it is not restricted to educational establishments.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 06:50 PM
I didn't go to university (by choice - I am NOT academic at all, smart but not for me).

I worked my **** off from the age of 17 to a managerial level, earning £26k p.a. by the time I was 24.

I now do a much lesser paid job as a Project Manager for an animal welfare charity (having decided job satisfaction should be greater than salary), but I would not be doing this job if I hadn't got where I was at 24.

I also had the opportunity to buy a house at 22 and go travelling for two years at 28.

There are very few students who will get to do that, either before the cuts or now, but am I really worse off for not having gone to uni?

Neil and I have already discussed a uni fund for our baby, then they will have the choice (joint choice!) on either going to uni with the money or buying a house and going travelling, whichever we all decide is the best option for the child.

The cuts are hard for those approaching uni age, but in time we'll all adapt. We always do.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Could I afford to send my child to uni?

YES

but won't the debt be my sons?

Of course I will help any way I can but it wont be a free ride.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Im at Uni and doing my final year, so I see the prospect of both sides.
Had I not finished in 2011 I'd have years ahead, had I still got years ahead I would have to pay treble amounts.
I'd honesty put my hand on heart and say there is no way the stupid gov will have justifcation to take it to that level.
Fear not, the labour love workers, this is a ploy in my eyes to put fear in those who have a work ethic to go back out and re-deploy their methology.
Does that make sense?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2010, 10:51 PM
But the top fees only apply to places like Oxford and Cambridge from what I understand so you probably wouldn't be facing anything like the increase they are trying to scare you with.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-12-2010, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Personally, I find it all a bit worrying - as I think a lot of young people will decide not to go now So not only will that mean less educated people, but that we'll require more immigration as we won't have the skills in house!
only if you assume education means 'degree'
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >