Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
feistyblue
New Member!
Female 

03-06-2009, 06:23 AM

House training issues

Both our dogs have been house trained completely reliably for the last four weeks. Since going to the vets last Monday we have come down every morning to an accident. First of all it was a wee every morning, and now the last three mornings it was been just a poo.

We're not sure which dog it is, but we suspect it is the younger (5 year old female) one because the boy wees and poos a fair few times a day on walks and in the garden. Megan on the other hand, can go hours and hours without even weeing! When no accidents were happening, we saw her go from about 4pm until 7am the next day without a wee at all. Yet she drinks plenty. The vet said last week that this was normal.

She had her anal glands emptied at the vets last Monday although the vet said it was only a tiny bit.

On Saturday she even came into the house in the evening and snuck in the sitting room and did a poo there despite having been in the garden all day and coming in deliberately from the garden to do this.

Obviously with the good weather they are free to come in and out of the garden as they please and spend most of the day there except when we go out. We got stuck in a bad traffic jam on Friday and were gone for five hours (never leave more than 3 hours) and there were no accidents. It really seems to be a sudden over night thing. We always clean the area with a special cleaner with no amonia in and so there is no smell left.

When the weather isn't so good we can leave the door open all day, we are taking them both out every hour. We are praising her lots when she does go outside too.

Any ideas?
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Ben is completely clean in the house, but I still take him out to potty before I go to bed... and he will, because he potties on command... If he doesn't need to go, he'll just pretend..
feistyblue
New Member!
Female 

04-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Yes I take them both into the garden at 10pm before I go to bed and if I am still up at 11pm, then I let them out again.

She rarely does anything on a walk either, even on a 2 hour romp through the woods. I think she has done her business on a walk about times since we got her!

Another poo this morning, am getting really fed up now as I don't understand why is it has suddenly started.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 10:55 AM
It could be that she is a bit uncomfortable with the anal gland emptying and it has caused her to change her habits.
Has anything else changed recently such as feeding times etc? Is she spayed or is she due a season?
You also state that they have been reliable over the last 4 weeks so were you having problems before? If so what were these?
Becky
feistyblue
New Member!
Female 

04-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
It could be that she is a bit uncomfortable with the anal gland emptying and it has caused her to change her habits.
Has anything else changed recently such as feeding times etc? Is she spayed or is she due a season?
You also state that they have been reliable over the last 4 weeks so were you having problems before? If so what were these?
Becky
The anal gland emptying is the only thing that has happened that is different and so I did wonder if it was that even though now it's been 10 days. She started bum shuffling again yesterday though! Am hoping its because her skin condition is making her itchy as she is very flaky around her bottom and down the back of her back legs.

Yes is she spayed and no, no changes in feeding times etc, its the same as always, around 7.30am. I've only had the dogs five weeks, so we did have a few accidents most days in the first week from both of them.

I been watching her like a hawk today and giving loads of praise and a treat when she goes. She even did a wee on her morning walk which is totally unheard of!

I wondering whether to change her feeding time to late evening, or whether to leave it for a few more days and see what happens?