Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
Great idea, one that has not reached my ringcraft yet though
I train all of mine at home with no lead. Dalmatians as all dogs need to move naturally and some breed judges tell you in the ring that they want a loose lead. Unfortunately too many are strung up and look awful.
Regarding distractions though, I think here it was more a case of perceived insults reaching the ears of the handler in the ring, now how to you bombproof handlers????
Now you got me,,,bombproof handlers,,,na more like bombscare my lot,
someone would get a bit of a fright if they behaved like that round my lot,
Lorraine,,aka thee boobah, I believe holds the record, for clean knockouts, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and thats men shes hitting
shes priceless,,got a hit like a powerdriver,,lol,
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Who me?I'm an angel,exceptions are of the pmt type.Your a wolf in sheeps clothing, Still glad you and the gang watch out for me and my wee angel, xxxxxx
Harvey1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2007, 06:17 PM
I have looked into it, and he is getting lots of calcuim, chlondoritin, glucosamine and lots of other vitamins. Hopefully this will stop his condition getting worse. We will see how he goes next summer, then will we know if it is worth continuing to show him.

Not going to get him hip scored yet as he is too young. Its just a case of wait and see, but I am not going to give up on him.

A lot of people have said that I should rehome him, but that is one thing that I can not and will not do. Harvey is a part of the family not just a toy that can be chucked out when he is no longer needed.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Harvey1 View Post
I have looked into it, and he is getting lots of calcuim, chlondoritin, glucosamine and lots of other vitamins. Hopefully this will stop his condition getting worse. We will see how he goes next summer, then will we know if it is worth continuing to show him.

Not going to get him hip scored yet as he is too young. Its just a case of wait and see, but I am not going to give up on him.

A lot of people have said that I should rehome him, but that is one thing that I can not and will not do. Harvey is a part of the family not just a toy that can be chucked out when he is no longer needed.
Well said Harvey good for you, I can't understand folks that get rid of their dogs just because they won't get rosettes in the show ring.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
Who me?I'm an angel,exceptions are of the pmt type.Your a wolf in sheeps clothing, Still glad you and the gang watch out for me and my wee angel, xxxxxx

So are you saying, YOU HAVENT K-O'd How many is it now?

ooooo ya wee fibber,,,go on how many is it?

ps its a good crew we have, we all look out for each other,,so far so good, not big arguements, no back stabbing, no bitching, Your barred when you have PMT, so cant see a big problem coming our way anytime soon,,well unless its coming in the form of another rotty person,,,,lmaorof, me finks tis already int post first class eh?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi Harvey, firstly can I say I'm sorry about your dog having HD, but can I just add the voice of reason.
Most dogs with HD its very obvious from the minute the judge gets any where near the hips as theres obvious muscle wastage, and usually a dog will move the effected hip differently. Im glad you caught it early but you could still have problems later in life.
I wouldnt even consider breeding from him (I have a dog at the moment with suspect hips they dont bother him but I'm expecting a hight score , so I'll have him castrated.
With regards to showing, have you done any open shows, the tt's a very popular breed and too be honest I wouldnt expect him to win at least at the moment.
Woody's retired from champ shows after Manchester as i've said he's very weak behind, and at £20 a throw its not worth it to me.
Hope you arent offended hun, would hate that
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 07:16 PM
I would just add to STOP giving calcium ASAP !!

If calcium is given correctly in the diet NO more is needed as dogs dont process it the same as humans.

Calcium supplements shouldn't really be given especially in a dog with HD as it can cause more problems through bone calcification etc

It's your choice and obviously advised by your vet, but IMPO I wouldnt take the chance of it affecting the HD.

Gad to hear he will be a valued family member whatever his condition
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I would just add to STOP giving calcium ASAP !!

If calcium is given correctly in the diet NO more is needed as dogs dont process it the same as humans.

Calcium supplements shouldn't really be given especially in a dog with HD as it can cause more problems through bone calcification etc

It's your choice and obviously advised by your vet, but IMPO I wouldnt take the chance of it affecting the HD.

Gad to hear he will be a valued family member whatever his condition
Well said M calcium supplements are not recommended because of the reasons you've stated, however, I'd put him on Codliver Oil capsules and Green Lipped Mussel extract which can be bought from chemists, the oils help to lubricate the joints, the Mussel extract is also very good, though the medical profession still does'nt know how it works.
Harvey1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2007, 06:06 AM
Thanks will stop giving the calcuim (have just run out of it anyway) as I did not know that. He is on glucosamine and clodoritin, cod liver oil, evening primrose oil, garlic and fungreek, malted kelp and omega 3 oil.

With regard to his mussel wastage he goes to hydrotherapy three times a week to build up his muscles on the bad leg. Have just started to see some improvement on that side so I think we are winning.

As regards his movement you only notice it when he is walking, when he is striding out in the ring he moves really well.

He is just lazy when it comes to putting weight on that leg. He is not in any pain from it, he has just got into a bad habit of walking in a way which is comfortable for him.

Have just bought him some legwarmers, so he can keep the joints in that leg warm. He is wearing them now (and sulking) but I am just trying to do my best for him.

Just read a critique from an open show that he went into a few months ago. The comment was that all the dogs in his class were in excellant condition and all the owners were to be praised.

So he is not doing so bad, we just have to carry on with our hard work to get him to the level which other people are already at.

I have said it before and I'll say it again I am not going to give up on him!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3