Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-02-2011, 10:06 PM

Ball drive v prey drive

I once had a debate on a working dog forum about weather toy/ball drive is the same as prey drive.

What do people think?

Adam
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 10:11 PM
No it isnt. Prey drive is instinct, ball drive (if you like) is an obsession allowed by owners.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 10:15 PM
I personally don't think so, prey drive is a lot more serious.

If a dog has not learnt to play as a pup, it can be VERY hard to get them motivated in any way/shape/form to toys. However - they prey drive is often still there.

But I do think toy drive comes from prey drive, it is a puppy type version....as pups practice adult skills, this is one of those - and they practice it on toys. Owners reward it and it continues.

But it develops differently.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2011, 10:19 PM
ball drive is an expression of prey drive
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

I think not; although a dog with a high drive to play with a ball may well have a high prey drive too.

My reasons are that playing with tuggy toys and balls is something that most puppies will do and some adults are naturally more inclined to play than others - but a lot of their willingness to play and enthusiasm for the game comes from the attitude of the handler.

On the other hand, bearing in mind that my definition of prey drive is the desire to hunt out, chase down and kill something furry or feathery, is something that adult dogs with a predisposition towards will seek out opportunities to indulge whether they are encouraged or not.

I've had 2 terriers that weren't the least bit into balls or tugs - but on live prey they were absolutely focussed and driven. My current dog loved to play and really focussed on balls and tugs - but if you stop playing or making it fun, he'll lose his enthusiasm. However, no matter if its weeks or months in between seeing a rat or getting close to something 'huntable' - he's absolutely up for it!

The same dog will work well on a bite sleeve - but only because in his mind it's a really big, fun sort of tuggy game that everyone gets really excited about and he gets loads of praise for. However, although I'd say he has a high prey drive - I say his 'high play drive' is something completely different.

Hope that makes sense to you!
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

I would say That it starts as prey drive because as mentioned they hone their skills on objects such as balls when young. But i think as they get older they understand that the ball isn't alive and turns more toward play drive
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 10:21 PM
I think prey drive is there as a puppy, it is part of the dogs make up as it were.

A drive for balls etc, perhaps is there as some pup as are more playful, but we had a collie that had not had the best start and had never had a ball or a toy till we got her, and TBH she never really did bother with toys/ balls, there was no drive or want to have them. Does that make sense?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2011, 10:23 PM
they dont need to know the ball isnt alive for it to be prey drive, as the prey can be the toy or the animal (or even my arm, when i play grab), as the expression, emotion and instinct is the same
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 10:24 PM
i think not

my collie has ball drive and no prey drive.

some of my sibes have prey drive and ball drive

a couple of them have no ball drive but have prey drive.

now im confuzed lol
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
ball drive is an expression of prey drive
I disagree, its just something taught by owners, its not a natural expression by a dog. Ragging a toy would be IMO.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »