View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 03:54 PM

Is there any way to increase the confidence of a nervous dog?

My Gozo (2 year old Affenpincher) has never exactly been the bravest dog around but he seems to be getting more nervous of late.

For example as I type this he is sitting on my lap panting and shaking because a noisy motorbike has just gone by outside. The other night there were some really distant fireworks which upset him and he was all quivery for about half an hour after we put one of those string curtains over the door. He's fine in the park and with other dogs but still gets spooked by traffic sometimes which was aggravated recently by a motorbike backfiring really loudly the other day.

I try not to fuss him when he gets like this (so I have just put him down, makes it a lot easier to type ) but obviously I don't like to see him so stressed.

Any ideas? I was thinking of a DAP collar? Would that be suitable for this kind of thing?

J.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Could you try some reward-based training?
In HTM? Or agility? (No I haven`t gone batty )
I find training a dog to do stuff gives them confidence because he`s being rewarded / being successful / given approval so much.
It also gets him into different situations where you are more relaxed.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Unfortunately he seems very uninterested in anything like that

He is 'retired' from agility, we gave it a good go but he was never keen, I will try harder with clicker work if you think that might help? My other 2 go nuts as soon as I get the clicker out but Gozo has to be encouraged.

J.
Royston Thomas
New Member!
Male 

20-07-2010, 09:43 AM
my jack (british inuit) is quite a nervous dog also and i am really trying to resolve the problem but nothing really seems to work if u do find something that works for you please post because i need all the help i can get
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Can't post to you privately but could you contact me privately about your Inuit.

email lynfra@btinternet.com

Thanks

rune
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 10:19 AM
I have been recommended trying scullcap & valerian tablets by Dorwest Herbs (you can get these from loads of internet sites). I started Stone on these yesterday. Decided it was worth a try.

Also, at an obedience competition, the judge said afterwards that Stone was licking his lips and looking around nervously the whole time we were working, and she suggested using a mix of a couple of BACH flower remedies for a three month period.

Both recommndations had noticed a difference with their own dogs and others that tried it.

I'll let you know how we get on!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-07-2010, 10:40 AM
guided walking and ground work
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Cain's problems cone from being nervous. We tried him with a DAP collar for a month then took it off, within days it was obvious how much more relaxed the collar had made him, he's a nightmare without it! He will wear one for the foreseeable future until he can cope without it.

It won't solve your problem long term but may help your dog cope in the adjustment period while you work on training or whatever you try. DAP doesn't work on all dogs but when it does, it's a godsend! Try a collar for a month, you have nothing to lose. Bachs flower remedy drops also a good suggestion.

Good luck!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Originally Posted by tokiayla View Post
I have been recommended trying scullcap & valerian tablets by Dorwest Herbs (you can get these from loads of internet sites). I started Stone on these yesterday. Decided it was worth a try.

Also, at an obedience competition, the judge said afterwards that Stone was licking his lips and looking around nervously the whole time we were working, and she suggested using a mix of a couple of BACH flower remedies for a three month period.

Both recommndations had noticed a difference with their own dogs and others that tried it.

I'll let you know how we get on!
Getting pills into Gozo isn't particularly easy so I'll be interested to hear if you notice any improvement.

Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
guided walking and ground work
How does this kind of training help with confidence? Could you point me to a web site or book with some more details as you haven't really given me enough to google on!

Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Cain's problems cone from being nervous. We tried him with a DAP collar for a month then took it off, within days it was obvious how much more relaxed the collar had made him, he's a nightmare without it! He will wear one for the foreseeable future until he can cope without it.

It won't solve your problem long term but may help your dog cope in the adjustment period while you work on training or whatever you try. DAP doesn't work on all dogs but when it does, it's a godsend! Try a collar for a month, you have nothing to lose. Bachs flower remedy drops also a good suggestion.

Good luck!
Ok I shall definitely get him a DAP collar. Do you know how the flower remedies are supposed to work, I'm a bit skeptical about alternative remedies, but happy to try anything that works!

J.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-07-2010, 02:17 PM
I find the best way to desensitise dogs to noise/sounds is to play their favourite game while the noise is going on. For example with fireworks we would go outside while they're going off and play ball or tuggy games. Diesel used to be very sound sensitive and would go all slinky and cower, household appliances used to make him go and hide in his bed, so I started playing tuggy while juicing etc until he learnt that noises actually produced rewards. I definitely wouldn't have him sitting on my lap with fear, I keep a squeeky toy or something to hand to distract him with instead.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >