View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2010, 07:07 PM

Anyone in the North London area with Dog-Savvy Dogs?

Soooo, Oh and I took Bear to our first session with krusewalker yesterday afternoon, and I learnt so much I'm bursting with it.

I came home with a book to read on calming signals in dogs, and it's helped me to interpret just that little bit more of what's going on between Bear and other dogs.

After reading the book cover-to-cover in one day I felt I was ready to take Bear out and try out getting him to relax around other dogs. I took him out at a quiet time this evening, and I think Bear was relaxed for most of the walk.

I have noticed though ... Bear doesn't know how to 'talk dog' so the problem I can see is he's tense and worried, marches straight up to strange dogs without any curving or preliminaries, they freak, he freaks ... disaster.
So, I've controlled who he's met ... or as much as I could.

One dog marched straight up to him, growl and snarl from Bear and then I manage to regain his attention and walk away .... another approached .... cautiously. Bear wanted to march straight up but I held him by my side. This dog read Bear like a book, and turned his head to the side, looked away, slowed right down and then walked around Bear in a nice big curve and then they sniffed each other's bums. I had a big grin, no growls from Bear, so while it was all good, I regained his focus and off we went.

Puppies are a big no-no as they have no idea about how to approach him. A GSD pup we've known since he was a tot came up to play but no reading of Bear, no preliminaries and ... yup ... Bear was not a happy boy.

So I wanted to ask all the lovely dog owners on here if anyone in the area has a dog they know is dog-savvy, and will not charge straight up to Bear, that would be willing to let us go on some walks with you at a quiet time, in a quiet area to allow Bear to chill out around dogs on leads that are not going to compound his fear issues.

I'm in Whetstone, which is close to Borehamwood, Enfield, Barnet, Hertfordshire and am happy to travel a little way to help Bear have some more controlled time with the right dogs.

It's so hard because I want to do my homework and help Bear to relax around dogs, but it's nigh on impossible when everyone has their dogs off-lead whether they're dog-savvy or not so I can't easily control who is coming up to Bear.