Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bessy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2013, 06:41 PM

Dog food from Spain

Just seen this and it made me feel sick, anyone know if .
his could get into the foods made in the UK? You will need to use Google translate.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia...1G30P14991.htm

http://truthaboutpetfood2.com/the-wo...irmed-in-spain.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Ewwwww

I haven't read it, I couldn't face it.
Bessy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2013, 07:39 PM
This is the english report
http://almerimarlife.com/petfood-is-...ith-stray-dogs
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2013, 08:08 PM
I live in Spain and know for a fact that dead animals from farms go to the pet food plants.These animals sit in metal bins for a week at a time even with the temperatures well over 30oc.This is all types of animals.I doesnt matter what they have died of.I have seen the waste animal parts being loaded for pet food from a meat processing plant and the "meat" is green at the bottom of the bin.

I would never feed my dogs commercial food.
Roger Biduk
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Bessy View Post
Just seen this and it made me feel sick, anyone know if .
his could get into the foods made in the UK? You will need to use Google translate.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia...1G30P14991.htm

http://truthaboutpetfood2.com/the-wo...irmed-in-spain.
Hello Bessy,

Not just in the U.K. but everywhere.

Some of the worst in North America are some of the biggest names (they did say in Spain that some of the biggest companies are involved) such as Purina, Ol' Roy, Pedigree, Royal Canin, Iams, Eukanuba, Science Diet, Hill's Prescription Diet, etc.

You have to look at the ingredients on the label, know what they are and don't buy bad food.

FDA in the U.S. says that anonymous-named ingredients such as meat and bone meal, beef and bone meat, animal fat and animal digest have a high probability of containing Pentobarbitol, the euthanasia drug of choice of veterinarians for cats/dogs.
Pentobarbitol can withstand the high heat of rendering so it isn't destroyed but they often can't find any DNA of cats/dogs... they don't mention the DNA get destroyed by high heat, the perfect crime...

About the U.K... big problems...
I put together pet food formulations and pet diets and am very familiar with pet foods in the U.K. and Europe in general and I can tell you they are some of the absolute worst... much of the problem is that the labeling of ingredients are so bad, something you wouldn't see in Canada or the U.S.
For example, Wagg Complete Premium for dogs has anonymous-named main ingredients such as "meat and animal derivatives" and additives such as "Colourants, Antioxidant, Preservative. *Colourants – from a mineral source found in nature"... what the heck is that...!
The reason the named ingredients are anonymous is because the manufacturer doesn't know what they are... if they wanted you to know what animals are in the food they'd tell you...!

If you don't feed raw (which is the absolute best) you can buy one of the best kibble in the world called Orijen and Acana is also very good..
It's made in Canada and has been voted best pet food for 3 years in a row and contains up to 11 meat/fish ingredients. Their meat/fish are delivered fresh, preservative-free and never frozen.

Orijen's motto is "No dry dog food on earth can match the quality, quantity and freshness of Orijen's fresh regional poultry, fish and meat ingredients". You'll never find this kind of commercial food made in Europe...

Here's two U.K. links:

Bern Pet Foods Limited
Tel: +44 1737 767679
Email: sales@BernPetFoods.co.uk

http://www.zooplus.co.uk

Hope this helps.
Best regards, Roger Biduk
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2013, 09:27 AM
The key is to never buy foods with MEAT or MEAT DERIVITIVES if you buy a dog food it should have named meats ie Lamb Chicken Beef (not just chicken flavoured) pot noodles have chicken flavouring but are not meat.
I thought the UK animal food laws were very strong but after all the scandal of human food of late, god only knows
Buy the best you can afford of the named meat variety is all I can suggest x x
Roger Biduk
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
The key is to never buy foods with MEAT or MEAT DERIVITIVES if you buy a dog food it should have named meats ie Lamb Chicken Beef (not just chicken flavoured) pot noodles have chicken flavouring but are not meat.
I thought the UK animal food laws were very strong but after all the scandal of human food of late, god only knows
Buy the best you can afford of the named meat variety is all I can suggest x x

Hello zoeyvonne,

If buying commercial foods, you're correct... foods from Orijen contain nine named meat/fish ingredients, five of them before the first starch... hard to beat.

There's not many good pet foods manufactured in Europe but I've seen hundreds which are absolutely terrible.
Good ones made in the U.K. I'm aware of are Eden Holistic, Simpsons Premium Natural Hypoallergenic and Canagan Grain-Free.

In December/11 some pet foods made and sold in China were taken off the shelves (40% of those tested!) because of "inappropriate" ingredients.
One of the companies said they were simply "following European standards"...
Cheers, Roger Biduk