Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2007, 12:44 PM

Is this hair loss excessive

Hi all Im turning to you again for help.
The pups mum has completly blown her coat to the extent that ahe has small bald patches which must be uncomfortably because shes itching them and making them sore and they've got small spots like a shaving rash on them.
I did see a flea on one of the other dogs on Tuesday that I think they picked up when I was grooming a dog on Tuesday.
I'm going to use stronghold on the others later today but cant on the mum, any one any haomeapathic (sorry for spelling) remedies in case its fleas.
Also any suggustions about the bald patches.
thank you all
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-03-2007, 12:48 PM
i would see the vet with the bald spots, it could be a hormonal thing though.
I make a spray up of tea tree oil and lavender oil mixed with water and spray mine with that when I groom. It makes them smell nice but also discourages little visitors.
As both lavender and tea tree oil have antiseptic and soothing properties it might be worth trying it.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2007, 12:54 PM
thank you,
Was at the vets on Tuesday and she was fine think I might have picked up the visitors there to be honest and think this might have caused the rash.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2007, 01:16 PM
A lot of bitches go 'naked' at this time due to the demands of the puppies and the hormonal changes going on. As to itching then I'd recommend using frontline spray on the bitch and the pups, infact if you do the mum you probably wont need to do the pups.
Don't use the spoton it's just the spray you can use on the bitch.
Becky
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks Becky,
I wasnt sure if I could use frontline with them being only 5 weeks old now.
Bald patches are reasonably normal then.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Yes, some bitches look awful when with a litter!
Becky
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2007, 06:30 PM
i agree with becky when my bitches had there babies they went a bit bald it was just hormonal but there was no itchness so might be a few un wanted little visitors that had taken advantage of a free lift home from vets and chance of living somewhere else for a we while
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2007, 09:15 PM
You can see her skin, wondering if its a vitamin deficency.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2007, 09:16 PM
will epsom salts make her run to the loo
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2007, 10:00 PM
epsom salts used sparingly as recommended shouldnt make her run,the bald patches are due to hormones mollie my bitch,had pups 3 weeks ago and she has 2 huge bald patches on her rump,at first they were itchy,she had no fleas,and was due to the fact biches and people lose hair every day,and lots after pregnancy,so they can and some do get bald patches,mollies 2 are bout size of a tennis ball,i just rubbed sudo dream on them when she was itchy it acts as a barrier cream and helps promote healing,is she getting calcium,?as they give so much in there milk,i like to add extra when feeding,also when im drying them up its called vetzyme stress,and bout £5.79 a tub and they get a teaspoon on top of there food once a day,when iv dried them up i put them back on puppy food for 1 mth to help put the wight back on and within a couple of weeks the hair grows back,although saying its hormonal,i also think stress plays a part in the hair loss xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >