View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Claireand daisy but he is already fed 3 times a day (as he is still a pup) and given treats and stuffed kongs in between. It is purely excitement that makes him behave like that.....not a massive problem but personally I would like him to be calmer about it.
Im not planning on kicking my pup or using shock collars on him....it just reminded me that I probably havent been as patient as I could be.
Another point if anyone is interested is that he didnt use the psssting at all and never mentioned the 'bite' or correction just talked about setting boundarys and limitations. He did briefly talk about dominance but also said you can call it confidence or assertiveness as that is what he means by dominance.
Im not agreeing with these points just wanted to give people who havent seen it a view of what the show was about
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Nlulu View Post
but if people went away from that seminar deciding to be calm around their dogs instead of frustrated and angry when they dont do what the owner wants then that surely should be a good thing.
Not every dog owner is like people on here who do research and educate them selves on dog training.....I know lots of people who have dogs that have never done any real training with them so if these people learn that shouting at the dog gets them no where and being calm and patient works better it should be appreciated that he is helping in some way.
He never once advocated kicking or choking the dogs and in his demonstration of walking a dog he only used two fingers (very large boxer too) so again all these people who yank their dogs around might have taken something good away from that too.
I do think his show is dramatised and he obviously has used quick fixes in some of them which I dont aplaud at all but his general message seems to be calm patient and dont fuss your dogs when they are displaying behaviour that isnt what you want....
I always use positive training methods but I have to admit the seminar really gave me added boost to remember my patience. His demonstration of feeding a dog only once it was calm also helped me as my puppy will happily go into his crate and wait for his food but the excitement level is increasing as he gets older and I realised even tho I have trained him to go into the crate when his food is ready I am still rewarding his excitement which is now turning feeding times into more of a frenzy (might be in crate but whining and dancing on the spot isnt ideal and winds mt older dog up too) anyway I just wanted to give you all a insight into how I saw it and say I still have mixed feelings about his methods on the show but I think for the uneducated dog owners out there he might have just made them think before they yell or get angry x
Hi Nlulu I agree CM is always calm and not angry even when he is choking a dog or using some other harsh means of forcing a dog to submit.

I know not every dog owner bothers to research training, that is why sites like Dogsey are so valuable because they give people the opportunity to learn there are various methods of training dogs and it is possible to do so without the risk of harming your dog or causing further behavioural problems.

I would have been very surprised to see CM use harsh methods on this tour partly because it is clearly a publicity exercise but also he must be aware of the opposition his methods have received from the leading canine welfare organisations in this country.

The Boxer may well have been a stooge dog and already trained to walk correctly.

Food can be the highlight of the day for many dogs and I would expect a puppy to get a little excited when its meal is about to arrive. I wouldn't want to deter a puppy too much from being excited at the prospect of food, food can be a good indication of the health of a dog and also a useful training tool.

I hope people do stop to think before they yell or get angry at their dogs and also before they calmly use the harsh methods frequently demonstrated on the CM entertainment shows.
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Great reply Minihaha......Im not for a second advocating his methods at all but and I totally agree that it was a tour to promote himself but if it was seen as a seperate entity to the tv show there was some good advice about patience and calmness.
I certainly wont be using any harsh methods on my dogs but the point of my post was that I was passing on information for those who might be interested in what actually what was said and done.....for them to make their own decisions about.
Sorry if it sounded like I was a cm fan as im not and only went as I was bought tickets for xmas but I can see that some good might come of it (the same people who dont educate themselves will hopefully just listen to what was said then and there rather than watching the tv show)
I agree that sites like these are fantastic and I have had some great advice and help but with anything I have picked bits that I wanted to out of the posts..... if I hadnt there is a risk my pup would be in a crate with no bedding or water
As for feeding Sherlock.....I dont mind a bit of excitement but I was meaning that I have obv allowed it to escalate by not waiting for a little more calmness before feeding. You yourself have given me advice about giving rewards and praise for calmness and quiet so to be honest I feel like it just falls into the same thing. Im not expecting or wanting my dogs to be boring or not get excited I just dont want to allow them to get silly and uncontrollable and if I can prevent this with patence and positive association to being calm then I think this is the best way.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Great reply Minihaha......Im not for a second advocating his methods at all but and I totally agree that it was a tour to promote himself but if it was seen as a seperate entity to the tv show there was some good advice about patience and calmness.
I certainly wont be using any harsh methods on my dogs but the point of my post was that I was passing on information for those who might be interested in what actually what was said and done.....for them to make their own decisions about.
Sorry if it sounded like I was a cm fan as im not and only went as I was bought tickets for xmas but I can see that some good might come of it (the same people who dont educate themselves will hopefully just listen to what was said then and there rather than watching the tv show)
I agree that sites like these are fantastic and I have had some great advice and help but with anything I have picked bits that I wanted to out of the posts..... if I hadnt there is a risk my pup would be in a crate with no bedding or water
As for feeding Sherlock.....I dont mind a bit of excitement but I was meaning that I have obv allowed it to escalate by not waiting for a little more calmness before feeding. You yourself have given me advice about giving rewards and praise for calmness and quiet so to be honest I feel like it just falls into the same thing. Im not expecting or wanting my dogs to be boring or not get excited I just dont want to allow them to get silly and uncontrollable and if I can prevent this with patence and positive association to being calm then I think this is the best way.
Hi Nlulu I am pleased you got some entertainment from the show no doubt had CM dared to use any harsh methods you would have viewed them with a critical eye.
No criticism was intended of you going to see the show , I would have liked to have gone myself but fear I may have been ejected .

Giving rewards and praise for being calm and well behaved and being assertive without anger in a none confrontational way is just common sense really and something many experienced parents as well as dog owners will be aware of. It doesn't really take a visiting 'genius' from the USA to teach us that.

Unfortunately I fear CMs very 'niceness' could give a legitimacy to his harsh methods of training and may influence some people who go on to view his programmes/books videos.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 12:53 PM
...As for feeding Sherlock.....I dont mind a bit of excitement but I was meaning that I have obv allowed it to escalate by not waiting for a little more calmness before feeding. You yourself have given me advice about giving rewards and praise for calmness and quiet so to be honest I feel like it just falls into the same thing. Im not expecting or wanting my dogs to be boring or not get excited I just dont want to allow them to get silly and uncontrollable and if I can prevent this with patence and positive association to being calm then I think this is the best way.
Hi, not meaning to digress too much from the topic, but it can help if you teach the pup/dog to do a Sit or Watch Me and then use a release word such as "Ok!".

Thanks for your info re the CM day, it is interesting to read. I am with Mini on this one but appreciate your posts,

Wys
x
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Nlulu I am pleased you got some entertainment from the show no doubt had CM dared to use any harsh methods you would have viewed them with a critical eye.
No criticism was intended of you going to see the show , I would have liked to have gone myself but fear I may have been ejected .

Giving rewards and praise for being calm is just common sense really and something many experienced parents as well as dog owners will be aware of. It doesn't really take a visiting 'genius' from the USA to teach us that.

Unfortunately I fear CMs very 'niceness' could give a legitimacy to his harsh methods of training and may influence some people who go on to view his programmes/books videos.

I do agree that it could lead to people taking more of an interest in his other methods but as the show was done in a very humourous and basic level way I think alot of people who were there will just take on board what was said then.....he covered most of his philosophy into the show and after listening to some of the conversations of people around me I dont think some of them could handle or want any more information than that!

I also agree that its common sense but there are alot of people that dont practise this with their dogs or children! So maybe its sensible and obvious to some but we wouldnt have cases of people shouting and yanking their dogs around if everyone knew this....or screaming at their kids in supermarkets for that matter!

Also for alot of owners a reminder that patience is needed is welcome. I did a huge amount of research about crate training and getting a new pup but when he arrived and kept me awake for two weeks I def needed a reminder! luckily I was on here by then and the support was great but so many owners wouldnt consider looking for a forum or website to help them.

It is a shame that he uses such harsh methods on TV because he could be such a good person to change the way people deal with dogs due to being so likeable and entertaining but I wont be watching his show or buying any books as the tour was enjoyable for what it was but thats enough
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 01:17 PM
I was talking to a guy on the train a few weeks back and he said he`d taken on a timid little JRT from a Rescue who kept barking when people came in so he tried the Jan Fennel methods (eat first and ignore) and he tried the spray collars and he tried the Cesar methods (dominance reduction - holding it down) and it just got worse so he sent it back .
Poor frightened little dog.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I was talking to a guy on the train a few weeks back and he said he`d taken on a timid little JRT from a Rescue who kept barking when people came in so he tried the Jan Fennel methods (eat first and ignore) and he tried the spray collars and he tried the Cesar methods (dominance reduction - holding it down) and it just got worse so he sent it back .
Poor frightened little dog.
Indeed - doesnt that just show what a "throw away" scoiety we live in, if it doesnt fit in, get rid..........

Quote"I was a little startled that people expected to see him change the behaviour of a challenging dog onstage. It takes months using humane methods... or weeks using cruel ones." End Quote

I knew a dog trainer years ago [now sadly deceased] who could take a badly behaved or aggressive dog on and within hours they would do virtually anything for him. As someone else said "he only has to look at a dog and they are like putty in his hands". He was a complete natural. Never met anyone like him since.....
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Hi, not meaning to digress too much from the topic, but it can help if you teach the pup/dog to do a Sit or Watch Me and then use a release word such as "Ok!".

Thanks for your info re the CM day, it is interesting to read. I am with Mini on this one but appreciate your posts,

Wys
x
Thanks Wys I have trained him to go into his crate and sit and wait but he whines and dances (whilst sat) Like I said its not a massive problem but does wind my older collie up so she does the same......all I will be doing differently is waiting that few minutes longer till he calms instead of being rushed by his excitement. I will do this gradually so he realises that he gets it quicker the calmer he is. I wont be correcting him in any way at all just waiting. TBH he is quite a calm pup in the most so Im trying to promote this behaviour and I feel feeding time is quite important to get into a good routine. He is highly food motivated and does try and snatch treats (improving with this all the time tho) so hopefully if I encourage calmness at meal times I will be able to do this will all food.
Its something I did when my collie Jess was younger (without cms help) and she is incredibly gentle and calm around treats....and was at meal times too until recently! All I was saying was that its something I was reminded of by the show so I did take something positive from it.
Glad you found the info interesting.....I too agree with Mini but wanted to pass on my thoughts on the show not ness the whole idea of cm or his methods
Me&MyDogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I went & saw Cesar in Cardiff CIA, I must admit it was an entertaining 2 hours - I did'nt come away with anything else that already knew but it was nice to see another trainers point of view on training & to see Cesar of course. I would'nt say i'm anti Cesar or a Cesar enthusiaste. Just intrested. Like if Victoria Stillwell did a tour I would also go & see her!
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8