Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
allan flynn
New Member!
Male 

14-09-2010, 04:45 PM

Staffie with norecardia

Hi can anyone help me with a query I have? I have a blue staffy pup which is 4 months old and has been diagnosed with a condition called Norecardia. I know little about it only that it is a bacteria on her lungs that is very resistant to any form of antibiotic treatment. She is on her 3rd course of antibiotics which initially consisted of a medication (tablet form) called Noredine and an injection of Convenia which was effective for two weeks. She is now on another antibiotic called Clindacyl (tablet form). If anyone knows of this condition I would be delighted for any advice. My vet has advised me that this new antibiotic she has commenced is her last hope.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear about your pup.

What procedures has the vet carried out to date?

Has he taken a swab and cultured the organism in order to select the most appropriate antimicrobial therapy?

Also, if this infection is pleural in origin, some sources I've just read suggest that hospitalisation, an implanted draining tract and intensive care are important.
Evidently, dogs have the best chance if they have a draining tract alongside their antimicrobial therapy, and your girl will stand the best chance if the bacteria has been cultured and possibly passed through sensitivity testing to see which antimicrobial agents may be most effective. This will take some time but may provide more options for her.
In the meantime she should be treated as she has been, with a view to switching her therapy once the results are in.

All of this is pricey stuff, but it sounds like it's her best chance.

Best of luck, we're thinking of her and you.
allan flynn
New Member!
Male 

15-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi Vicky, Thanks for your reply. On the first day, the vet carried out a chest x-ray which showed him that there was alot of infection on Nippys lungs. Subsequently, he wanted to carry out a chest aspiration which he did and he said from looking at the culture on the agar plates that there was thousands of various bacteria present. He also went on to say that the type of bacteria present is very resistant to antibiotic treatment. At the moment they have put Nippy on a 5 day course of Clindacyl and he has said this is basically a last resort. If this doesnt work he said that they could put her under sedation and suction bacteria off her lungs but that this is risky and she could even die under sedation. So we waiting and hoping to see an improvement. Allan.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Along side the antibiotics I would be looking at boosting the pups immune system.

From the bits I have read it is not prevalent and generally attacks those with compromised immune systems. ie the young, the old and the ill.
allan flynn
New Member!
Male 

15-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks for your help leadstaffs!!!!! Just out of interest I was wondering what would you use in order to boost the pups immune system. Have you any suggestions??? Thanks. Allan.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 07:39 PM
AS I am not qualified I would suggest you do a couple of google searches. There a few supplements on the market but I have no idea if they are any good.
I personally would feed a raw diet but if you presently feed complete I would stick with that for the time being.
I would also speak to the people at www.Dorwest.com they are very good and helpful
I would add Kelp and zinc plus a brewers yeast. I would also speak to my vet but as they don't do much on nutrition at vet school you may have to do your own research.

Let us know how you get on