View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Err, no, because the dog 'reacted' to something he didn't like and did as you asked, when under normal circumstances he will not.
Under normal circumstances he WILL! He only doesn't respond when he becomes compulsive and obsessive - that's not the NORMAL state of affairs!

The shock collar didn't tickle him or give him a pleasurable experience or he would have contiued to do something wrong in order to feel that experience !!
I'm not saying it was pleasurable but just because he 'didn't like it' and it interrupted his behaviour, doesn't mean it inflicted pain or fear.

So try a Whistle ! That would also get his attention, off lead, at a distance !
I HAVE bought a whistle! And I am using it off lead, at a distance but AWAY from livestock - but he responds well under those circumstances anyway. I wouldn't trust relying on a whistle while livestock are near, but I WOULD trust using the e-collar.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Malady you misquoted me again!

I said I despise old fashioned trainers,who base their training and practices on "THE DOMINANCE THEORY" NOT DOMINANT DOGS of how all dogs are like a wolf ,and we need to be Alpha and be dominant... That a wolf pack acts in a certain way, where in fact the whole study was a very short , studied on a captive wolf pack. Completely different to a natural wolf pack. This study people like Jan Fennell have based all their teachings on.Ceasr Milan etc, alpha rolling .... A one size fits all approach to dogs which IMO does not work.

I never once metioned Dominant dogs and breeds.. I all to aware certain breeds are more dominant and strong willed , and need clear boundaries, and someone to respect.
I never once implied people of certain breeds bully their dogs into submission! I know certain breeds are more pack orientated too, thank you.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
I'm not saying it was pleasurable but just because he 'didn't like it' and it interrupted his behaviour, doesn't mean it inflicted pain or fear.

How else would you explain his spot on response to that and nothing else ?

I HAVE bought a whistle! And I am using it off lead, at a distance but AWAY from livestock - but he responds well under those circumstances anyway. I wouldn't trust relying on a whistle while livestock are near, but I WOULD trust using the e-collar.
WHy ? What's the difference ?
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2008, 04:33 PM
How else could you explain if the whistle worked in the same way?

WHy ? What's the difference ?
I have tried and tested him with the e-collar around livestock and I know that it works and he would be SAFE from being shot.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Malady you misquoted me again!

I said I despise old fashioned trainers,who base their training and practices on "THE DOMINANCE THEORY" NOT DOMINANT DOGS of how all dogs are like a wolf ,and we need to be Alpha and be dominant... That a wolf pack acts in a certain way, where in fact the whole study was a very short , studied on a captive wolf pack. Completely different to a natural wolf pack. This study people like Jan Fennell have based all their teachings on.Ceasr Milan etc, alpha rolling .... A one size fits all approach to dogs which IMO does not work.

1 singular study is what you are talking about. There have been many studies done on this, including with domestic dogs and the similarities revealed.

Which study in particular did JF base her training on ?

I never once metioned Dominant dogs and breeds.. I all to aware certain breeds are more dominant and strong willed , and need clear boundaries, and someone to respect.
I never once implied people of certain breeds bully their dogs into submission! I know certain breeds are more pack orientated too, thank you.
So you are now saying you 'know' certain breeds are more dominant and pack orientated, but before you said this :

I have no time for the dominance theory!!!
The dominance 'theory' is what's described as a set of behaviours, that you just said you know about !! I'm confused !
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 04:37 PM
How else could you explain if the whistle worked in the same way?

But a dog whistel isn't under discussion and not the issue here, so please can you answer my question ?

I have tried and tested him with the e-collar around livestock and I know that it works and he would be SAFE from being shot.
Or you could (just a thought) keep him on a lead around livestock, OR don't let him near livestock just in case.......!!!
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2008, 04:47 PM
But a dog whistel isn't under discussion and not the issue here, so please can you answer my question ?

I don't know that nothing else works - a whistle may work just as well! Or a rattle bottle! Or a squeaky toy! But I'm not going to test them out around livestock and put my dog's life at risk!

Or you could (just a thought) keep him on a lead around livestock, OR don't let him near livestock just in case.......!!!
Which is what I AM doing, as I have already explained to you on another thread! At the same time, if I can train him to walk nicely off-lead around livestock, as I believe I can, I am going to continue trying to do that too.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
So you are now saying you 'know' certain breeds are more dominant and pack orientated, but before you said this :

The dominance 'theory' is what's described as a set of behaviours, that you just said you know about !! I'm confused !

Malady, life is really too short to sit here arguing about one little thing that I obviously worded wrong originally....
I can quote you the studies if you want,JF used, and the fact that some of her ideas she nicked from Monty Roberts who is a horse whisperer but would that really make any difference, because I would probably type something else wrong, and then you would pull that apart too!

As for the topic.. anybody who shocks or smacks their dog should not be allowed to own a dog IMO.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Malady, life is really too short to sit here arguing about one little thing that I obviously worded wrong originally....
I can quote you the studies if you want,JF used, and the fact that some of her ideas she nicked from Monty Roberts who is a horse whisperer but would that really make any difference, because I would probably type something else wrong, and then you would pull that apart too!
Originally you said 'study' in the singular (this is not picking apart, I am merely stating facts), implying her training was based around a singular study, so now are you saying there is more than one ?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 04:59 PM
I don't know that nothing else works - a whistle may work just as well! Or a rattle bottle! Or a squeaky toy! But I'm not going to test them out around livestock and put my dog's life at risk!
But you did with an shock collar on, is that right ?

If so, WHY did you go striaght to the shock collar, before trying the other things mentioned ?
Page 38 of 64 « First < 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 48 > Last »