View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Daysleeper40
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Well I'm not going to join in the treat or not treat debate because that actually wasn't the original question and I think this thread has been taken way OT by a number of people.

SO ways I reward without food:

1. Vocal praise
2. Touch
3. Body Language
4. Toys
5. Games
6. Free Time ie. training session while on walk would be followed by free time where the hound his left to himself to sniff stuff etc.
7. Try to make training fun in the first place - if it's a game to start with the hound learns while having fun and there is no need for a physical reward like a treat

I've found that Ollie prefers it if I combine the above into a bit of a song and dance routine - beginning with me jumping up and down very enthusiastically while saying "Good BOY!!" in an embarrasingly happy voice, then lathering him in pats and scratchy bum (don't ask me why he likes having his rear end scratched but he does!), followed by a good game of hunt the squeaky toy, find the squeaky toy - kill the toy (loudly), if he still has enough energy let him run like a bat out of hell in a circle so that his bum nearly overtakes his head... finishing with a nice cuddle when everyone has calmed down

I'm hoping that as he grows older he will settle for a simple "good boy" or pat on the head
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Daysleeper40 View Post
Well I'm not going to join in the treat or not treat debate because that actually wasn't the original question and I think this thread has been taken way OT by a number of people.

SO ways I reward without food:

1. Vocal praise
2. Touch
3. Body Language
4. Toys
5. Games
6. Free Time ie. training session while on walk would be followed by free time where the hound his left to himself to sniff stuff etc.
7. Try to make training fun in the first place - if it's a game to start with the hound learns while having fun and there is no need for a physical reward like a treat

I've found that Ollie prefers it if I combine the above into a bit of a song and dance routine - beginning with me jumping up and down very enthusiastically while saying "Good BOY!!" in an embarrasingly happy voice, then lathering him in pats and scratchy bum (don't ask me why he likes having his rear end scratched but he does!), followed by a good game of hunt the squeaky toy, find the squeaky toy - kill the toy (loudly), if he still has enough energy let him run like a bat out of hell in a circle so that his bum nearly overtakes his head... finishing with a nice cuddle when everyone has calmed down

I'm hoping that as he grows older he will settle for a simple "good boy" or pat on the head
love it sound just right to me
Page 15 of 15 « First < 5 12 13 14 15