register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-11-2006, 12:49 AM
yeah she said she was so relieved that they had showed themselves up in their true colours, because now there is not a chance they will ever get a pup and she has also passed their name around to make sure no one else sells them one. I mean it is always nice to get a pup in summer, but to 'always get their puppies in summer' makes me wonder how many they have actually had - and where are they now?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-11-2006, 07:53 AM
I think its a good idea and believe most good breeders do this.
I think the problem lies with people who have accidental matings and advertise them in the local papers and on the net.They are only interested in selling the pups and collecting the money.As most of us know there are no health checks done for these dogs and no-one knows or cares about temparement thats where the biggest problem lies imo anyway.
So I think thats where we need some kind of law until that happens there will always be idiots out there who don't know what they are doing,as with most things in life now.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-11-2006, 09:10 AM
I offered a home visit to Willow's breeder and she said to me on the phone before we met that she would know within a minute of meeting me if I would be ok to have one of her pups.

She has refused people pups when she does not feel that they have thought about it enough or when they do not 'feel right'.

Needless to say, we got on very well.

I saw a sign on a major road between Sunderland and Newcastle the other day saying 'Jack Russell pups'. How bad is that?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2006, 09:36 AM
As others have already said, I think the responsible breeders already vet potential owners and ask loads of questions but there are always going to be breeders wanting to make a quick buck, who don't care where the pups go or what happens to them in the future Also, you can only go on gut instinct and what potential puppy owners tell you and not everyone is as honest as the day is long!
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2006, 09:42 AM
when we rang about trigger his breeders where great they asked lots of questions and said they wanted to make sure there pups where going to good homes, i sent them pics of all my dogs and my son with them. i told them they could come to my house and have a look as i had nothing to hide.

They said they had no problems with us having a pup as we answered there questions with ease.

we are still in touch with them and send pics every month at the moment so they can see how well he is growing and they send me pics of his sister that they kept. so i think its a good idea.
casimari
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2006, 09:53 AM
You must vet intended new puppy owners. best to advertise in breed club puppy line.Don't let them go to early.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Our breeder said she has a few 'macho' men after her pups who when they called asked her what breed she had (obviously done their research ) and she told them where to go!

She and her OH took a shining to us and we spent a lot of time there smoking and drinking cups of coffee, so I think that was her 'check' she didn't ask many questions, but I dont think she got the chance becasue I didn't shut up asking her questions
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2006, 03:01 PM
When I went to see Mollie, she is my first Boxer, and the breeders asked all the rellevent questions, but what made him decide I was suitable for her was the fact I have had staffies for the past 20 years!Looking back on it now, how the heck could me owning staff's make me perfect for a Boxer, they are totally different!He said if I could handle a staffie, I could handle a Boxer!
minter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-11-2006, 03:10 PM
I agree with most of whats been said. When I got my last Irish staffy, I was asked to make the 14 hr return journey to the breeders home. Both he and his wife then chatted to us, found out about us and introduced us to their dogs. This was for 2 reasons. 1 so we could assess the parents and also so they could asses how we reacted to the their staffies. We stayed with them for a few hours. This was before we had even picked a pup.
They told us then, that if there were any problems. No matter how old our pup got, that if we had to rehome her, then we had to take her back to them. They did not want any of their dogs ending up in the wrong hands. They still phone and e`mail us now to check on how we`re all doing.
I was very impressed and it shown me how things should be done.
But like has been said, people can fool you and they will put on a show to get what they want. There is an arguement for higher prices for pups, in a hope that this will out price those that aren`t truely dedicated. But, the flip side of the coin is that this would also make ****** puppy farm breeders latch onto selling more pups and people with lower budgets can still make the perfect owner.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Off topic or chat posts merged:

Can I just ask what exactly is an "Irish" Staffy? What is different about them to SBTs?

Thanks.

:roll: Oh god, lets not go there with this thread. Its been done to death on other threads. :lol: just do a search either on here, but better off on google. look at the SIBTC website or Cosmos Staffords, Keetchs staffords. Its better to learn for yourself than get the opinion of someone who doesn`t really know.:grin:

Oh ok :roll: It was just an innocent question though, as I don't know much about SBTs at all, I didn't mean to start a war. :blush:

perhaps minter would be kind enough to PM you some links....

-end-

Off-topic posts merged..
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2