Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
doglover10398
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2018, 11:36 PM

How do I put my dogs on a homemade diet

Hi I have three dogs and I want to put them on a homemade diet I tryed before but it gave them the poops what did I i do wrong and can someone give me some tips thanks
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2018, 10:09 AM
Depends what you mean by homemade tbh. Do you want to cook for your dogs or feed them raw?
It could have been just that you made the switch to quickly. I don't know what you did or what you fed.
Mine used to be fed on quality kibble, when I decided to switch I started off with adding frozen tripe to their meals. That went down well. I then started reducing the kibble until I was feeding completely raw with a variety of meats. Although one of my pups went on hunger strike until I fed her the same as the others.
Squitty butt has many causes, it may just have been overfeeding, as you feed a lot less raw than anything else. They are more likely to produce hard poos than anything else when fed Raw.
Give us a clue what did you do.
doglover10398
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2018, 04:02 PM
I don’t want to feed a raw diet and I found a recipe in line and cooked it for them and I mixed it in with there dog food and I did not give them a lot I was tryin to get them started slowly
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

09-03-2018, 04:43 PM
So you want to cook etc, again I would start off adding something to their current food. I always did tbh I'd add stuff like tuna, sardines, pilchards all tinned. Cottage cheese, natural live yoghurt, some lightly cooked liver tossed in garlic, some lightly cooked mince, some chicken, etc and see how they get on. I've never found adding food to their kibble gave them dodgy tums but some dogs don't like change. where as mine haven't been fed the same thing two days running since moving in. I'd think yours would probably need to start off slowly and consistently that way you can rule out what upsets them as you go. Start with something really simple like a large dollop of natural yoghurt, don't think that's ever been known to upset anyones tum.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-03-2018, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
So you want to cook etc, again I would start off adding something to their current food. I always did tbh I'd add stuff like tuna, sardines, pilchards all tinned. Cottage cheese, natural live yoghurt, some lightly cooked liver tossed in garlic, some lightly cooked mince, some chicken, etc and see how they get on. I've never found adding food to their kibble gave them dodgy tums but some dogs don't like change. where as mine haven't been fed the same thing two days running since moving in. I'd think yours would probably need to start off slowly and consistently that way you can rule out what upsets them as you go. Start with something really simple like a large dollop of natural yoghurt, don't think that's ever been known to upset anyones tum.
I would want to check the salt and fat content - that can vary from brand to brand. The lowest fat content for mince offered in regular outlets is 5%. I don't know if that's OK for dogs occasionally. Maybe you can get lower fat content elsewhere.

You didn't mention eggs. Ours gets scrambled egg as a treat about once a week. Cooked eggs are apparently a good source of protein.

We also give him raw carrots Yes, I know it isn't cooked but, besides being low in calories it is high fibre, they are supposedly good for their teeth. Quick and easy to prepare too.

Cooked chicken breast is another thing he gets on occasion. We can buy it diced and frozen in 5kg packs from a cash and carry. We chop it into smaller pieces and hide it round the garden. Makes a game of it for him - stimulates the brain doing the search.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

09-03-2018, 06:46 PM
As for the salt content I think you'll find many foods especially meat have naturally occurring sodium. When I buy meat it has nothing added to it. Eggs, dairy and veggies also contain naturally occurring sodium. Plus 100grms of carrots contain almost 5grms of sugar.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-03-2018, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
As for the salt content I think you'll find many foods especially meat have naturally occurring sodium. When I buy meat it has nothing added to it.
Meat has fat in it - naturally.
And I'm not remotely suggesting adding fat or anything else to it.
How much depends on the source and the cut. And actually, how you cook, it you can render some of the fat out of it.
Carole
Supervisor

10-03-2018, 01:06 PM
*Some posts have been removed. Please keep this thread on topic. Further off topic posts will be removed*
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-03-2018, 01:46 PM
"Eggs are a great source of very digestible protein, riboflavin, and selenium. For some dogs that are prone to digestive upset, eggs can give them a little protein boost. Adding eggs to your dog's food is a healthy treat. Make sure to use cooked whole egg, as raw egg whites can cause biotin deficiency."
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

10-03-2018, 05:45 PM
Raw feeders (which the OP has said she doesn't want to do) actually feed raw eggs whole including the shell. I was reading an article written by a vet earlier extolling the virtues of raw feeding.
If you're going to google you should post your source.Large quantities of raw eggs may cause a biotin deficiency but I think they'b bung the dog up first.
http://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/my-...s-eat-raw-eggs

General rule is do your research.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >