View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2016, 09:24 AM
I start training from the moment the dog comes into my care (whatever age).

Really excellent photos of your beautiful dogs NickyAnn and I can appreciate the value of such a collar on a working dog (although without the shock element, but as you say you don't use that then fair enough).

In terms of exercising dogs off leash - it is the norm in the UK. In Scotland, where I live, we have the "right to roam" and that includes with your dog, as long as you follow the countryside code and don't allow your dogs to disturb or chase livestock and wildlife.

GordonMac - which area do you live in? It sounds like you share similar scenery and wildlife (and a blessed lack of people) to myself.
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2016, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I start training from the moment the dog comes into my care (whatever age).

Really excellent photos of your beautiful dogs NickyAnn and I can appreciate the value of such a collar on a working dog (although without the shock element, but as you say you don't use that then fair enough).

In terms of exercising dogs off leash - it is the norm in the UK. In Scotland, where I live, we have the "right to roam" and that includes with your dog, as long as you follow the countryside code and don't allow your dogs to disturb or chase livestock and wildlife.

GordonMac - which area do you live in? It sounds like you share similar scenery and wildlife (and a blessed lack of people) to myself.
Thanks, well I certainly keep my dogs away from livestock, but keeping a GSP from chasing critters would actually hurt the dog, it's like breathing to a GSP. My older female is soft mouthed though, if she chases a rabbit and catches it she tosses it without hurting it. This was bred so that shot birds come back without being ripped or chewed to shreds.

As for the collars I use upland beeper collars, they have 5 functions, including shock so I use only 4, but again if a bear or poisonous snake gets into the line of the dog, I can avoid the incident.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Moobli - Have only just seen your post with it's attendant question. In answer to which: We live on Saddleworth Moor on the Pennines, just above the Peak District National Park, we are up above the heather line.
Very few people, about 47 square miles of bog and rock and heather moorland.
I am now old and retired although have spent a lot of my life mucking about with sheep and cattle. Not Blackies like yours but Swaledales and Gritstones. Along with 40plus suckler herd and followers.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
Moobli - Have only just seen your post with it's attendant question. In answer to which: We live on Saddleworth Moor on the Pennines, just above the Peak District National Park, we are up above the heather line.
Very few people, about 47 square miles of bog and rock and heather moorland.
I am now old and retired although have spent a lot of my life mucking about with sheep and cattle. Not Blackies like yours but Swaledales and Gritstones. Along with 40plus suckler herd and followers.
My hubby is from Saddleworth originally!! His dad is still there.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-08-2016, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by NickyAnn View Post
Thanks, well I certainly keep my dogs away from livestock, but keeping a GSP from chasing critters would actually hurt the dog, it's like breathing to a GSP. My older female is soft mouthed though, if she chases a rabbit and catches it she tosses it without hurting it. This was bred so that shot birds come back without being ripped or chewed to shreds.

As for the collars I use upland beeper collars, they have 5 functions, including shock so I use only 4, but again if a bear or poisonous snake gets into the line of the dog, I can avoid the incident.
You cannot keep your dogs away from livestock if you can't see them to control them because they are roaming free and out of your sight.
A GSP can be kept from chasing critters willy nilly with absolute freedom - and training it not to do so will not harm the dog. I know what the gundog breeds are used for and you should know that they are required to be trained to a high standard and should not chase unless given permission/instructions to do so.

I find it incredible that you could possibly avoid your dog getting in the way of a bear or poisonous snake if you are unable to see where your dog is and where the danger is. Unless you can see your dog how can you possibly bleep it or shock it to save it. Doesn't make sense to me.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7