Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 09:28 AM

Got a dog bite... what should I do?

Got bit by one of next door's dogs this morning (the new puppy ) whilst trying to rescue it from my two and heave it back over the fence...

3 small puncture wounds, skin broken and bleeding. I've cleaned the wounds up, and since I had to come to work have sprayed them with 'liquid plaster' stuff to seal them up.

Not sure when I last had a tetanus jab... is it worth getting one?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Mmmmmnot sure if you should seal it up, if there is infection introduced into the wound from the dogs teeth you would then end up with a deeper infection.

If i remember correctly, when i was bitten enough to go to hospital they had to sluece the wound out very well before it was covered.

How about phoning NHS direct for advice.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 09:57 AM
I believe you are meant to wash it out and keep it open too... and do see your doctor because puncture wounds can be very likely to get infected.

Hope you are OK
Wys
x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Go to hospital now. You need anti-tetanus, polio booster plus broad spectrum anti-biotics. Now! Yes - seriously!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I think it would be better left open too.
Phoning NHS direct would be a good idea.
Hope it heals soon.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 10:02 AM
I agree with the others - you have no idea where the pups teeth have been so you can't be too careful!
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 10:04 AM
You need to phone your Doctor and find out whether or not your Tetanus is up to date. If it is then I personally would treat at home, but if you are not comfortable doing this then you can get the Doctor to have a look at them (I was bitten last year and had to go to the Doctor's as my Tetanus had expired but the wounds I simply treated myself - I wouldn't seal the wound though).
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Just on phone to NHS Direct now....
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Good hope you make a good recovery. when i got bitten i knew the one on my finger looked small but was deeper than the one on my hand (which had swollen like a ballon). The nurse wouldn't listen to be and stuck a plaster on the finger.............and dressed the hand one carefully.

Well....within the a couple of days the figner had swollen so much the plaster popped off..........................and i ended up with septisemia (sp?) in both hands

Hand a week off work holding both hands in the air, loads of antibiotics and all was well again.

Good luck with your recovery!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Gah!! Don't tell me that!!

The wounds are small, and don't feel/look particularly deep (4-5 mth old JRT that bit me)

2 punctures on the side of my little finger, graze on the inside of the next finger, and another puncture on the knuckle of my index finger. No swelling, heat as yet, though they hurt when I move my hand.

The only reason I ended up with the spray plaster on is that I had to go to work, and they were still bleeding 15 minutes later
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >