zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by fluffybunnyfeet View Post
Lol

Really?
**off topic** (sorry Ink!)

see something I agree with you on. Except you mentioned you fed the dogs a mixture of meat and complete foods and cereals? If you believed they were carnivorus why the cereals
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 11:55 AM
[quote=dougiepit;959835]
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post

Is it worth the risk?? Is anything!? but yeah I'm happy feeding them raw they get all the vitamins and minerals and enzymes that they need that are often destroyed in 'nuked' food.

It does not have to be nuked food a gentle simmer will suffice, I only nuk my OH food
yeah I know...I said 'nuked' as that was the word I was refering to that was mentioned by fluffybunnyfeet.

But how do I simmer a breast of lamb then don't answer.

I'm trying not to get into a raw V all else debate lol
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-03-2007, 12:00 PM
The classification as a carnivore does not necessarily mean that a dog's diet must be restricted to meat alone. Unlike a true obligate carnivore, such as a cat, a dog is able to healthily digest a variety of foods including vegetables and grains, and in fact requires a large proportion of these in its diet. Wild canines typically get such nutrients from the stomach contents of their herbivorous prey, which they consume eagerly.
Which confirms why a raw diet works so well, but a balanced diet without feeding raw has to be varied.

Its horses for courses tbh, you pick your prefered way and if it works stick with it.

Like I said before, nothing against raw diet it obviously works very well for many animals. Just couldn't live with myself if my dog aquired something attributed to feeding raw.

Now where did I leave that herbivores stomach contents, it was here yesterday......?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
the rotts eat veg, If I dont give them it they often eat grass, and not to be sick they graze like cattle munching on grass, the other thing alot of dogs do to obtain more easy to digest greens is eat the poo of herbivours, ie, horses, rabbits sheep and cattle, apparently there are bacteria in the poo of these animals that are good for the dogs gut, kinda like a yakult (sp) drink for dogs, yummy,
some dogs will eat horse poo after a course of anti biotics, due to the anit-biotics killing not just infection it was given for but also some of the natural gut flora, yum,
what ever works for you Personally I think if veg are to bed fed it should be kept in proportion to the 'prey model' it's what I feel is right...If people wanna feed alot of veg - not saying you do as I have no idea thats up to them. I personally think meat, bones and offal in that order are what's important and anything else is extra.

Dogs get the 'good bacteria' you mention from the raw meat they get all the enzymes lost in cooking.

It's interesting that when on dry dog food that is when my dogs ate s*** Kody would eat his own and other animals Keena stuck to horses and cats, nice...lol...So what is it about 'dog food' fed dogs and less bacteria??

Anyyyyyyhow...The dogs coincidently stopped eating s*** when they started on their raw diet (with no veg lol)

Yup they like to munch on a bit of grass esp when it has been mowed and i let em and I'm not mean I do share my fruit and veg with them now and again it's just not an important part of MY dogs diet
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by fluffybunnyfeet View Post
Just couldn't live with myself if my dog aquired something attributed to feeding raw.
there are so many things that can happen in life that I wouldn't forgive myself for but you just have to live ay?

there can be complications from vaccinating your dogs...not vaccinating them...

hell nowadays breathing fresh air might be a bit dodgy who knows.

Feeding 'dog food' is not with out risk...what about all the cereals and fillers they don't need and the probs they can cause in some dogs.

The list is endless.

I just can't spend my life worrying I have to do the best I feel I can do based on an educated (as much as can be) opinion and get on with it.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=myschievous;959109].

Since feeding raw there have only ever been very minor bouts of any digestive upset.

So yours still get upsets.
What supplements do you give ? I only ask out of curiosity.
If they don't get veggies or anything what do you keep in the diary ?
Mine got wholemeal bisc in the morning with bio yog
1lb raw at lunch with keepers mix
1lb raw evening keepers mix and 3/4 nights added raw veggies and brown rice
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
So yours still get upsets.
What supplements do you give ? I only ask out of curiosity.
If they don't get veggies or anything what do you keep in the diary ?
Mine got wholemeal bisc in the morning with bio yog
1lb raw at lunch with keepers mix
1lb raw evening keepers mix and 3/4 nights added raw veggies and brown rice
Hi

since feeding raw Kody has had sickness once but that was prob down to some turkey i knew was a bit far gone and chanced it anyway (sorry Kody man, poor baby!) or it could have been anything really - at the time in my area alot of dogs were getting stomach upsets as if their was some sort of bug going around.

Dogs are always gonna have the odd minor bout of the poops or something - until you can get em to not drink nasty ditch water etc it's just expected - so long as it is a rare occurance.

I don't supplement either.

What do I keep in their diary? well I made a meal planner for them so to be honest the diary is now real breif as I can just basically tick it off.

Today kody is getting

100g liver or kidney
300g ox heart
200g Pilchards in tom sauce
180g beef mince
and a whole chicken carcuss

Yesterday he got breast of lamb and liver.

Etc

I just have different things written down with a number next to them and basically write the number on the day they had it is all. So not much writting.

They get a variety of meats / meat and bone, liver / kidney etc etc by making note of what they had I can pin point what type of meat it was, how much bone etc...
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Quote:
"The classification as a carnivore does not necessarily mean that a dog's diet must be restricted to meat alone. Unlike a true obligate carnivore, such as a cat, a dog is able to healthily digest a variety of foods including vegetables and grains, and in fact requires a large proportion of these in its diet. Wild canines typically get such nutrients from the stomach contents of their herbivorous prey, which they consume eagerly. "

The classification of the dog as a Carnivore has very little to do with diet as classification is based on phylogeny, which is relationship by descent. The Carnivore group also includes other omnivores such as the Bears, of which the giant panda is almost exclusively herbivorous. Closer to the wolf/dog in relationship is the urban fox which also thrives on an omnivorous diet.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
Today kody is getting

100g liver or kidney
300g ox heart
200g Pilchards in tom sauce
180g beef mince
and a whole chicken carcuss

Wot no veg?

Is he Scottish per chance?
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Quote:

The classification of the dog as a Carnivore has very little to do with diet as classification is based on phylogeny, which is relationship by descent. The Carnivore group also includes other omnivores such as the Bears, of which the giant panda is almost exclusively herbivorous. Closer to the wolf/dog in relationship is the urban fox which also thrives on an omnivorous diet.
Which is why I feed a balanced diet that does not consists solely of meat either raw or cooked (sorry nuked)

Feeding raw must consist of other feeds in order to give your dog a balanced diet.
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »