View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vanessamarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2017, 07:52 PM

My dog is scared of everything. EVERYTHING.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you guys come across really anxious, scared, vocal, and just lonely dogs in general?

My dog just turned 8 months and he lives with my boyfriend and I in an apartment. He has always been scared of everything. He is an excessive barker and has no confidence and no self-esteem. Currently, we are working with a behaviorist (Dr. Sueda/Dr.Cho) at VCA West LA Hospital and they prescribed Peroxatine and Trazadone. He has been on medication for about a month and a half and some of his behaviors have been changing a bit. I have seen improvement with meds and his daily training that I have been taught to do (because he is way too anxious with the trainers) but I feel like it is unnatural for him to not be in a social environment--with other dogs.

I took him to the Culver City dog park (boneyard) last night and he was very loud but he seemed very curious towards the dogs on the other side of the fence. He was scared but he was happy. I took him off his leash and he followed me everywhere and we walked and ran to each corner of the park several times jut to keep him distracted and active. The other dog who was also in the small dog area was very timid so he left Max alone and Max was content. Everything was fine until 2 small dogs came and one of them (10 months) was very curious about Max. He chased Max and Max did not want to get caught so he ran faster than I have ever seen him run. He then got up on the bench and was snarling at the little dog. The dog, Oreo, was confused but still interested in playing with Max but Max was just barking/growling/snarling. He didn't bite Oreo or hurt him in any way but Max didn't know what to do--all he knew was that he didn't want to touch the ground or the puppy. Like a cat, he even tried climbing on top of my head.

I am reaching out to you guys because I have been doing everything I can to help Max build his confidence and I feel I may have sparked something good in him last night. I like hearing from different people because it gives me different perspectives and I know his behaviorist is going to raise an eyebrow when I tell her that I took him to a dog park and I even took his leash off but something in my gut knew that he would be okay and that maybe other dogs can help him break free and learn how to be the playful puppy he is with us at home.

Do you have experience with these types of dogs? Do you think that Max could ever be comfortable with other dogs and people? How does everyone feel about excessive dog barking at parks? I feel like Max being around other people besides his 2 human parents would do him so much good but I also know that every dog is different and that different situations could arise.

I really hope to hear some feedback, stories (whether good or bad) or advice/thoughts/concerns about what I did last night.

--Vanessa & Max