register for free

Dog News

Doomed dogs of war: MoD destroys dozens despite loyal service

DOZENS of dogs who loyally served Britain have been destroyed by the Ministry of Defence this year, the Daily Express can reveal.

Many of the 51 animals killed saw action on the front line in Iraq and Afghanistan and saved the lives of hundreds of British soldiers.

Among the dogs killed, 17 were physically healthy but were described as having "dangerous temperaments" or suffering from "welfare" problems.

Defence chiefs also admitted that a further 50 dogs were destroyed in 2013 and dozens of other dogs were put down for a series of untreatable medical conditions.

The worst month for canine euthanasia was September this year when 12 dogs were destroyed, almost one every two days.

Of those killed, eight were physically healthy but were destroyed for "age or welfare' reasons according to the MoD.

Among others destroyed, one dog suffered an abdominal catastrophe, another had a neurological disease and two had osteoarthritis.

The MoD also admitted that it has killed 25 horses in the last 22 months. The majority of the horses were put down for medical reasons after service in the Household Cavalry.

The MoD maintains that animals are only destroyed after all medical treatments have been exhausted or if the animal cannot be rehomed.

But the director if Animal Aid, Andrew Tyler, said the animals were being dumped after loyal service - and many military dogs were paying the price for having been trained to be aggressive.

He said: "The MoD pretends these animals are heroes but when they reach the end of their working lives they are disposed of like worn kit.

"Many of these animals are conditioned to perform aggressively or to undertake brain-numbing repetitive tasks. This upsets their mental and emotional equilibrium.

"They need to be restored to good mental and physical health - not killed."

Details of the destruction of dogs and horses were released in response to a parliamentary question by Kevan Jones, the Labour MP and former defence minister.

Military Working dogs were used throughout the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan either to protect soldiers on patrol or to search for buried roadside bombs.

Several of the animals have received the Dicken Medal, the canine equivalent of the Victoria Cross.

The MoD has previously faced severe criticism for killing dogs after serving in the armed forces.

Past criticism was triggered by the military putting down Belgian shepherd Brus and a German shepherd named Blade who helped protect Prince William at his Welsh RAF base.

The decision was made after bosses ruled the pair, based at RAF Valley in North Wales, could not be redeployed or re-homed.
...[snip]...
The British Army has around 500 horses, mostly serving in the King's Troop of the Royal Horse Artillery and the Household Cavalry.

They play a vital role in ceremonies like Changing of the Guard and Trooping the Colour at the Queen's Birthday Parade.

But the destruction of dogs and horses has started to raise concerns in the veterinary world.

One vet speaking anonymously said: "Killing 100 dogs in two years is a lot in anyone's estimation. I have a large practice and I certainly don't destroy a dog a week. The question is whether these dogs are being put down as a last resort or for other reasons."
Full article and photographs here...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/540...%3A+UK+Feed%29

Something about this really disturbs me.

Your comments and views:
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Sadly this has always been the way with military animals, they are either put down or left with the country's military to their fate. Nothing new, they left loads of dogs in Bosnia & animal welfare there is non existent
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2014, 03:14 PM
This makes me sad
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-11-2014, 02:23 AM
Sickening.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-11-2014, 08:59 AM
It is sad I agree with that but I can also see that many of them would not make good pets,
They live a hard life most have been asked to become aggressive some to the point that only their handler can work with them?
What would you say if they released a dog into a home that then went on to kill sombody ?
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2014, 09:14 AM
A huge number of dogs that end up with the military are pets that people have disgarded, precisely because of their inability to handle them. Overly aggresive dogs and hyper-active ones that would have little or no use in a home environment can, and do, go on to give this country service and save the lives of many of their human comrades. It is a tragedy that nothing can be done with them once their active service is over. I must agree with Marley123 in the previous post in saying that a good many would be totally unsuitable as pets.
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2014, 09:21 AM
It's disgusting . Because a dog or a horse can talk there treated at dumb. And no idea it's live will be snuffed out after give it whole life to these ppl.trained as a puppy to be the way they want, and then killed for it when there to old for work.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2014, 09:25 AM
I fully understand your point gordon mac, and that of marley123, but in the same article it says:

In America the Government has made a firm commitment to save as many of its brave military dogs as possible from euthanasia.

Robby's Law was introduced in honour of a heroic service dog whose handler fought in vain to save him from being put down.

Now all decisions to put military canines to sleep are recorded in a report presented annually to Congress. In 2011 the US military put down 219 dogs, with 1,052 sent into happy retirement.
Which makes me wonder...
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Malka - Perhaps it is easier to rehome trained attack dogs etc in the USA as their laws on dog ownership and the consequences of a dog attacking an intruder into your home are very different to the UK. In the same way it is perfectly legal to shoot someone for crossing your lawn in some states. Perhaps this will aid your state of wonderment!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Probably will Gordon - I am not very knowledgeable in either dog or gun laws in the US.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top