View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nicweb
New Member!
Male 

10-10-2012, 10:59 AM

Our old Collie is neurotic, hard to control, and increasingly dangerous.

I'm a guy in his early twenties who's moved back in with his parents (I'll blame the recession ). Anyway Buddy, our old Border Collie (I think he's about 11) is driving me nuts, and I think stresses my parents out too.

Whenever any of us leaves the house he barks his head off, even if someone else is still with him. He does the same whenever someone comes to the door. He's even worse in the car (particularly at the start or end of a journey.) We've started wearing ear protectors it's so bad!

He's bitten several people recently (my parents have moved house and have builders coming and going, which has clearly stressed him out), and it seems to be getting worse. It used to be that he would just give people (including me when I was younger) a little warning nip when they got too close. But recently he's started breaking the skin, and I think he really savaged one delivery guy's arm who leant over the gate to pat him. We've put up signs and an extra gate to try and prevent any contact, but accidents still happen. We used to live in an isolated spot with a large garden, so people had a lot of warning he was there, and he was mostly an 'outside' dog, but now we live at the end of a terrace and the garden's not secure enough for him to be left. So he now expects to be inside most of the day and follows everyone about getting under their feet.

I've suggested several times to my parents that they get a professional trainer/behaviourist in, but I don't think they believe it's worth it or will be effective at his age, so we're left trying to figure out ways to control his behaviour on our own.

My Dad tries by using a threatening voice or in extreme cases smacking him (not in a vicious way, but I still feel it shouldn't come to that) which doesn't seem to change anything, and my mum either ignores it or shouts, which he ignores.

I'm not really sure how to react around him (which probably doesn't help.) I try to be assertive and not show fear (which is hard considering his often threatening body language - ocassionally he'll show his teeth.) But I'm wary of pushing him too far. Although he'll follow my commands (grudgingly), as soon as something puts him on alert he'll be off and totally ignore you.

I think he sees himself as 'the security', which would be fine as long as we could could get him to relax when we're there and there's no threat. But as a Collie I suppose he feels the constant need for a job to do. We got him as a 2 year old from a farmer who was getting rid because he was useless as a sheep dog, and I guess he's always been a bit scarred psychologically. I don't know if he was beaten, but he's always been incredibly skittish and afraid of loud noises, and people throwing things.

He also seems to be much more hostile towards men than women. He's particularly protective of my mum. He acknowledges my Dad's authority as 'pack leader', and he seems to want his approval, but it doesn't stop him barking when my Dad's around, or even sometimes snapping when my Dad tries to physically restrain him.

I've tried to build a better relationship with him but he doesn't seem to like stroking or playing, and I always get a sense that he's just tolerating your presence, and could snap at any moment, so I'm wary of pushing it. I think he gets that I have a 'higher position, in the 'pack', as it were, but there's no real affection on either end, just toleration. And his behaviour can be hard to ignore, even when it's not dangerous.

I'm much closer to our other dog Izzy (I guess because I looked after her as a puppy), and I suppose we spoil her. My mum got her lots of toys, and she's a total attention hog. This clearly gets to Buddy, who every now and then tries to intervene when we play with her. But as I said, he doesn't seem to want attention himself, or to play. He just doesn't want her to have toys because they're a status symbol. So it's hard to know how to react, other than being bullied into not playing with Izzy.

Any advice about how to behave with him greatly appreciated. I think there might be a nice dog in there somewhere, but beause he's always on alert and scared of people you rarely see it.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 12:26 PM
First thing he needs is a full vet check up & especially his eye sight & hearing.

He will not see anyone as his pack leader-they do not exist-dogs are well aware that humans are not dogs & therefore not part of any group of dogs they live in.

He could becoming senile or simply confused with age as this does happen with some dogs & there is medication that can help. You need to make sure that he is never in danger of putting himself or others at risk.

Absolutely no point in hitting him in any manner/way, all it will cause him is pain & he will not be able to understand why he is being hurt & it could make him more defensive
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 12:28 PM
The poor dog sounds really stressed.
I would first take him to the vet for a check up. Pain or failing senses would make him snappy.
You could also try de-stressing his environment. He will be more settled with a regular routine (dogs like routine - it makes them feel safe).
Give him a safe place to settle where he won`t be disturbed - a den where he can feel safe.
Try a DAP diffuser in the house.
Tell your dad to stop hitting him.
Use a safety gate to confine him when you have visitors so he doesn`t feel so threatened by them.
Don`t allow him to patrol the front garden - this is most unwise and your parents could be taken to court if someone sues them.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Please take your dog to the vet, he may well be suffering from CCD Canine Cognitive Dysfunction.

There are pharmacological products out there which can help your dog be stress free.
nicweb
New Member!
Male 

10-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for your replies. I think he goes to the vets for check ups fairly regularly, and I don't think there's been any problems with his sight or hearing, or anything suggesting senility. He's as alert as ever. That's part of the problem. His ears prick up at the slightest sound and he dashes to the door. We had another Collie a few years back who lost her sight and sense of direction, and he's nothing like that.
He has had some problems with pain recently I think - something like arthritis was causing him problems jumping over styles, and he also had an ear infection, both of which made him even less fond of patting/stroking. I think both things are better now (although he's still on some sort of medication), but neither really explains the way he aggressively goes for people, even if they keep their distance. I think it's more about his perception of threat, and the habits he's formed of reacting. He's in constant guard dog mode, which is exhausting to be around. He's used to having the run of a large garden and patrolling it and barking as a warning whenever anyone came up the drive, but now he's trying to carry out the same role inside a confined space.

I think my parents try to give both dogs a fairly regular routine - feeding at the same time, a longish walk etc. in the morning, whenever they can, although as I said it's been difficult with the move and disruption from building work.

Where we used to live he had several outdoor safe spaces (a kennel and a dog's room/porch), but as we can no longer leave him outside during the day he's made a sort of den by the side of the sofa. But whenever anyone comes in or leaves he goes nuts. The new house just isn't big enough to give him a place away from people like he used to have.

The DAP diffuser sounds like a good idea (though expensive.) Might recommend that to them the next time they reach their wits end. Putting in a safety gate
might stop him rushing to the door whenever anyone calls, although he does tend to leap over any obstacles.

I hate it when my Dad smacks him but it's hard to know what else to do when he snaps at you or gets out of control - fear/pain seems like the only way to restrain him, he becomes oblivious to commands, and snaps at you if you try and pull him back or get between him and someone.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Aggression begets aggression I am afraid and nerve sheaths etc get thinner with age and so dogs (and people) particullary herding breeds can become increasingly intolerant of noise.

If you prefer to guess the motivation and your parents will not discuss CCD with the vet or entertain the notion of a behaviourist then I am afraid little progress will be made except both they and the dog will become increasingly unhappy.

Shame.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 04:52 PM
You cannot tell if your dog has sight/hearing problems without having them tested & increasing aggression can be a sign of senility.

It would appear that your family doesn't really understand your dog nor his behaviour which is a shame forhim after 9 years living in your family
nicweb
New Member!
Male 

10-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Aggression begets aggression I am afraid and nerve sheaths etc get thinner with age and so dogs (and people) particullary herding breeds can become increasingly intolerant of noise.

If you prefer to guess the motivation and your parents will not discuss CCD with the vet or entertain the notion of a behaviourist then I am afraid little progress will be made except both they and the dog will become increasingly unhappy.

Shame.
I'm not ruling out CCD (am I right in thinking it's a kind of dementia?), but it doesn't seem to me like his behaviour is particularly out of character. He doesn't seem confused, or constantly pace around, or get stuck, or lost/disorientated, or have accidents (all of which our other Collie I mentioned did a lot toward the end.) He's perfectly capable of hearing and understanding commands, except when he gets excited when someone comes to the door or leaves, in which case he ignores what we say. I don't think he's any less 'social' than he ever was, it's just a lot more noticable now in a smaller spaces. So I think his behaviour has escalated as a result of environment rather than brain degeneration. Although obviously I'm not an expert.

As I said, I've suggested a behaviourist several times, but they're not keen. Maybe all we can do is keep trying to minimize the risk of him hurting anyone. But it is a shame the amount of aggravation caused by the situation.
nicweb
New Member!
Male 

10-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
You cannot tell if your dog has sight/hearing problems without having them tested & increasing aggression can be a sign of senility.

It would appear that your family doesn't really understand your dog nor his behaviour which is a shame forhim after 9 years living in your family
I acknowledge it's possible he has sight or hearing problems, but as I said there's been no indications suggesting it. He seems as aware of even the smallest noise as ever, he's aware to any changes in his surroundings & clearly focussed and coordinated in his movement. He doesn't bump into things or seem confused. He is no less sharp or alert.

I agree we find it hard to understand his behaviour or why he's on edge so much of the time, and if it's something that could have been easily remedied by someone with the right level of understanding then that is a shame. On the other hand, if we hadn't taken him in he would likely have been shot. He's not had a bad life compared to most other dogs. Lots of long country walks, good food, and affection when he wanted it (mainly from my mum.)
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2012, 05:58 PM
A vet check is always a first stop.
A gate is a good idea.(You can get v tall ones).
How about a crate for him, an indoor kennel ( no need to **** the door) that you can cover to
Make it cave like and it can be his space where
no one else can go.
May I also suggest, at high stress times, when you are expecting visitors etc, that you pop a harness on him with a trailing house line, it means if you have to
move him you can use the houseline
and it may make everyone less inclined to use raised voices and aggression.
Do not watch any more Caser Milan and don't allow your parents to.
Go gently round him. He's frightened. He sounds frightened of all of you, probably not your fault, but now you know, ease up
on him.
A DAP diffuser could be useful. Perhaps
See anTTOUCH practioner if there
is one locally. They will help you bond through touch at his speed.
Buy him a toy and play with him, just him, on his terms, gently.

A behaviourist is possibly useful. 11 isn't massively old for a collie, my foster is about to celebrate her 15th birthday.

Collies are known to be sound sensitive...

What are you feeding him? Some foods make some dogs far more reactive.

Invest in a clicker and start retraining him slowly and with patience, kindness and gentleness. Slowly. Start to enjoy him, alter your mindset, see and praise the good and ignore as mich of the bad as you can.

You clearly care otherwise you wouldn't have posted. Use that and build your relationship. It will be slow but very worth it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >