Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boneo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2012, 03:23 PM

Dominance

I wonder if anyone can give any advice on this problem. I have three dogs, been here a while a 3 yo, 5 yo and 9 yo 2 males, 1 female. They have always got on, no squabbling. I recently took in an older bitch. At first she was very quiet, well behaved although not trained to any commands. As weeks have gone by she has got more and more domineering of the other dogs.

They don't have to go near her, or try to take anything she has but if they have something or come near me she runs at them and pins them to the ground mouthing but not biting their head and ears.

She also paces round and round them prevening them from moving. This doesn't happen all the time but does seem to be increasing.

The original pack are now going into hiding and not living as they used to do.

Any ideas on dealing with this or should I accept this dog would be better as an only and find another home.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 04:00 PM
She is managing the rest (collie job) and resource guarding you.

I would seriously consider finding her another home where she can be a one and only as both she and your other dogs are evidently extremely stressed.

Altenatively if you have the disposable time and energy, then you can take time to integrate her and the others which may involve taking them out in twos and never the same one with her if that makes sense so she does not get overloaded with the responsibility of keeping everyone in order.

You need to be very disciplined about this though and it will take some time and very good environmental management.

It all depends on how badly you want her, how much time and energy you have and if you can be absolutely consistent.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 04:18 PM
^^^ agree, my girl was very like this - and resorts to this when stressed
Well done on your other dogs being so polite and putting up with this but IMO they shoudlnt have to - you would have to try and manage situations to make sure that she dosent do this to them
Trying to find what sets her off and also really controling the times when they are free around each other
For much of the first few weeks my dogs were kept seperate except for walks and calm training
Then I would only have them out in the room together when I could 100% supervise - and when they were both very tired and chilled so I could spend time rewarding them for being calm round each other

I also went for totaly zero tolerance on her resource guarding or in any way controling the movment of my origonal dog - and behaviour like that and she was in her crate for a time out or (later when she could be distracted) then they were both distracted away from whatever was causing the trouble

They are fine now - but it did take time, she takes a whole lot of confidence from him in new situations and she loves him to bits - but it took a lot of work and stress on my part always having to be watching
boneo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2012, 08:05 PM
^^^ agree, my girl was very like this - and resorts to this when stressed
Well done on your other dogs being so polite and putting up with this but IMO they shoudlnt have to - you would have to try and manage situations to make sure that she dosent do this to them
Trying to find what sets her off and also really controling the times when they are free around each other

I feel they shouldn't either but apart from this issue this dog is really nice, can't fault her in any way.

From the above it seems there may be a solution which is what I'd really like to find as I don't like giving up on a dog and believe passing them on often creates other problems. I'm still discovering just what the 'triggers' are and today's was certainly a new one. I will try to monitor her even more and put her in another room if I can't watch.

Thanks for your replies. If anyone else has any suggestions they'll be welcomed.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 08:21 PM
This book may be of interest?

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/sto...tnumbered.html
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by boneo View Post
I wonder if anyone can give any advice on this problem. I have three dogs, been here a while a 3 yo, 5 yo and 9 yo 2 males, 1 female. They have always got on, no squabbling. I recently took in an older bitch. At first she was very quiet, well behaved although not trained to any commands. As weeks have gone by she has got more and more domineering of the other dogs.

They don't have to go near her, or try to take anything she has but if they have something or come near me she runs at them and pins them to the ground mouthing but not biting their head and ears.

She also paces round and round them prevening them from moving. This doesn't happen all the time but does seem to be increasing.

The original pack are now going into hiding and not living as they used to do.

Any ideas on dealing with this or should I accept this dog would be better as an only and find another home.
To me I read this as the female "taking over the pack as dominant female". This will go down like a lead balloon with most peope on Dogsey I have no doubt, but this is how I read it.

It is up to you whether you accept this or not. If you find this discomforting, then you need to rehome her. But I suspect reading between your lines that you like this girl and would like to keep her. You are the one who says what happens, and you are the one who says whether this situation is acceptable or not. Bitches are naturally more dominant than males, so what you say is of no surprise to me, and with your 3 original dogs being males, I would suggest that given a bit of time things will settle down. They will instinctively know that "Bitches Rule OK!!" and given time, things will settle down. But a bit of time is needed ... to see how things go. Just bide a wee while and see how things pan out would be my advice.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 08:34 PM
The OP has two males, one female PLUS the older one.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
The OP has two males, one female PLUS the older one.
OK, I misread the OP - there is another female. The newbie, the older female, may be a higher rank than the resident female. Females are less likely to get on than males in this sort of situation, but I stand by my original advice. If the OP wants to give it a go, then he is the one calling the shots. Admittedly we are talking about 2 males here, but when we introduced Ben (a castrated male) into our home a couple of years ago, Tai was in residence, an entire male. The fights were horrendous, but now - 2 years plus later - they are bosom buddies, adore each other. We left them alone to get on with it, to sort out the pecking order, call it what you will, Tai is boss, Ben is subordinate and that is the end of the matter. It is much harder, I will agree, when you have a mix of sexes, but if the OP wants to keep the collie bitch, then it is worth at least a try and my advice would be to allow them to sort it out for themselves, within reason.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Never leave bitches to sort it out for themselves----they won't.

Dogs often do.

I agree with SB but I also think that for the sake of the other dogs I'd look at rehoming. I have always said last in first out if I have any problems. I have always jumped on bitches before they even think about going in, dogs not so much. Boys don't hold grudges as a rule, girls do. In all species!

rune
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Never leave bitches to sort it out for themselves----they won't.

Dogs often do.

I agree with SB but I also think that for the sake of the other dogs I'd look at rehoming. I have always said last in first out if I have any problems. I have always jumped on bitches before they even think about going in, dogs not so much. Boys don't hold grudges as a rule, girls do. In all species!

rune
I do not have bitches for this reason, which is why I said that females are less likely to get on. I agree with you in the round, but personally would be prepared to at least try, if that is what the OP wants. Males, I fully agree, whether they be entire or castrated, are far less likely to continue at odds with each other. And for sure I totally agree with you about bitches holding grudges - that applies to our species, to horses, to virtually any mammalian species that I can think of! Still I would give it a shot if I were the OP.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >