Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NicolaG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2011, 05:34 PM

My old dog is peeing everywhere :(

Hiya, hope someone can give me some advice.

My oldest dog Morgan, 10 yrs old ( german shepherd ) has started peeing everywhere at night which is totally unlike her. I took her to the vet and the vet advised that she thinks it was some kind of infection and gave her anti biotics, this was 2 days ago, so far, there has been no improvement in her, she's possibly got worse.

The vet phoned 1 hr ago to tell me that she has protein and something else ( cant remember, my head is spinning ) in her urine which is indicating to an infection but they also want her in to test for kidney problems and Cushings disease so she's booked in for monday.

Does anyone have any experience of having a dog with Cushings ? I am getting quite desperate here, i am constantly cleaning up pee and with a 2 yr old and another dog, its a nightmare.

I feel so bad for Morgan though, she's a poor old soul. She also has hip dyslasia and this year, has had 4 tumors removed this year ( in 1 op ) and then a few weeks later, she had to have her toe removed due to one of these tumors.

Any help or advice is much appreciated xx
kirsty1978
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2011, 06:07 PM
http://www.canine-cushings.co.uk/diagnosis.htm

hope this helps
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I would either take a friend to the vet with you or a list of questions. It`s difficult in these situations to remember what you wanted to ask.
If you have queries, ask to speak to the vet on the phone, or the practice nurse. You are the client - it`s their job to inform you.
In the meantime you could try incontinence pants for your girl- or put vetbed under her. Give her a wash down to stop the urine burning her skin.
Let`s keep our fingers crossed it`s just an infection. ABs take a few days to kick in, so you wouldn`t see much improvement after 2 days.
And give yourself a big hug for caring so well for this old girl.
NicolaG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the advice, its so appreciated I'm off to read that link now.

She's such a good dog and i hate seeing her like this, she just cant help peeing everywhere and its sad. However, i'm keeping everything crossed that there is minimal peeing tonight as she doesnt seem to have the accidents during the day. At night, my husband is sleeping on the couch so he can let her out for a pee if she needs it but she doesnt even alert him to the fact she needs one.

Thanks again xx
NicolaG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Well the antibiotics must have helped the infection as she didnt pee once last night, thank god !

She goes into the vets tomorrow to get her tests for her liver and cushings xx
greyloz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2011, 07:24 PM
If it is cushings you would have noticed the amount of water they were drinking and also a very ravenous appetite, my poodle has it and the first we noticed was how much he was drinking and then found out he was eating our greyhounds food as well.
NicolaG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Sorry to hear about your poodle having Cushings

Morgan has been drinking loads of water but thats only been a recent thing so i have no idea whats going on with her.

She's in the vets just now getting her tests done and my other german shepherd, Abbie, is freaking out because they are never apart except when Morgan has been for her ops.

Thats one of my major concerns when Morgan's time has come Abbie will be devasted, i dont know how she'll cope. However, we wont be getting any more dogs, its just too hard when they have to go xx
NicolaG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2011, 12:51 PM
The vet has just phoned my husband to tell him that her liver and kidneys are absolutely fine which is good news, she's going to test for Cushings next and then she's going to scan her for gallstones xx
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Glad the results were fine and hope she's feeling better. Having had a few UTIs myself I have to say I usually felt a bit worse before things got better so it may have taken a little while for the antibiotics to kick in and do the job. Fingers crossed she's on the mend and it's nothing more serious.
NicolaG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Thank you Just waiting on the Cushings results now xx
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »