Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 02:35 PM

Met a dog with Dwarfism

When I was out for a walk this morning, I met a lady with 2 Spaniels, Springers I think, but one was a lot smaller that the other, I got talking to her and she said that the small one should be the same size as the other one, but he had the dogs equivalent to being a Dwarf, he was so cute and extremly friendly, she said it didn't seem to bother him, and he could do everything that the bigger one could, when I looked at him more closely, his head was the same size and his body the same size as the the larger one, it was just his legs were shorter and stumpier than the other.

I've never heard of this in dogs before, has anyone else had any experience of this, I'm just curious
Sugalba
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2008, 02:36 PM
humm, that is wierd. Shame you didn't have your camera
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2008, 03:16 PM
I have heard of that before - if I remember rightly Jimmy Hill had a labrador that suffered with dwarfism and I read an article on it in a magazine. I might just have a search on the internet and find out!!
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Irish Setter Mu View Post
I have heard of that before - if I remember rightly Jimmy Hill had a labrador that suffered with dwarfism and I read an article on it in a magazine. I might just have a search on the internet and find out!!

Have just found the following extract (first dated 2001!):
Soccer pundit Jimmy Hill shows off his latest signing - a dwarf labrador.

Jimmy, 73, who lives in Hurstpierpoint with his wife Briony, attracts stares of amazement from passers-by when he takes pedigree pup Charlie out for a walk.

The television presenter said: "If you look at him side-on he looks like a Dachshund but he's got a beautiful labrador face and everyone finds him irresistible."

Charlie was born with the mystery condition condroplasia which means he will never reach full size.

But that doesn't stop him dashing up and down the star's garden. He is already in training to accompany his master on rounds of golf.

Jimmy said: "We had our last dog George until he was 14 and we were heart-broken when he had to be put down.

"We weren't going to get another dog but I went to see a friend of mine in Suffolk whose neighbour's dog had just had puppies.

"Charlie was the last of the nine and no one wanted him. It was love at first sight and now he's the most important member of the family.

"I'm a member of a golf club where they adore dogs and look forward to the day he can accompany me around the course."
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Have know of one in my own breed, it is not that unusual but not common. No real problem as long as some bright spark with no brains decides to breed them together.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I knew about jimmy hills but have never met one, I have heard that there is becoming more of a problem in labs.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Have know of one in my own breed, it is not that unusual but not common. No real problem as long as some bright spark with no brains decides to breed them together.
. I have read about someone offering the 'First Miniature Utonagan Stud Dog'. No mention of dwarfism though.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 05:08 PM
just the same as us humans
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 05:23 PM
This is a 4 year old dwarf GSD apparantly:

Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Does not have GSD ears, can't really see the skull because of the markings and the shadow, I would need some convincing.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >