Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
julieedwards
New Member!
Female 

15-11-2012, 12:23 PM

Chasing shadows

Hi my name is Julie and i live in Southampton i have a 9 year old border Collie Ringo who we rehomed in 2004 she is very special to me. She is total nuts and chases shadows which i have tryed to stop as she can get very worked up and does not stop barking i can not stop this action so have givin up just try not to let shadows fall on the ground any tips on how to stop this thanks.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by julieedwards View Post
Hi my name is Julie and i live in Southampton i have a 9 year old border Collie Ringo who we rehomed in 2004 she is very special to me. She is total nuts and chases shadows which i have tryed to stop as she can get very worked up and does not stop barking i can not stop this action so have givin up just try not to let shadows fall on the ground any tips on how to stop this thanks.
Hello Julie and welcome
Shadow chasing can be due to a form of obsessive compulsive behaviour and it seems to be more prevalent in some breeds than others .
I know someone with a Springer which does the same thing.

I think the behaviour may begin initially when a dog is bored and under stimulated. As you re homed Ringo I guess you may not know what kind of start she had in life.

This kind of behaviour is very difficult to break , all I can really suggest is to make sure Ringo has regular exercise also mental stimulation. This could be in the form of games also and well filled kong .

When she starts the unwanted behaviour distraction is the best cause of action and trying to avoid situation which lead to the behaviour . On thing I wouldn't do is to shout at Ringo when she is shadow chasing because this may heighten her sense of excitement /stress and make the problem worse.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

18-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Sounds like she thinks it's a game Julie

Can you video her doing it and post it up on youtube?

Is it a recent behaviour? If so she might need a little more exercise - or might even have an infection that is making her feel 'frustrated', so could be worth getting her a check up at the vets.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hello Julie and welcome
Shadow chasing can be due to a form of obsessive compulsive behaviour and it seems to be more prevalent in some breeds than others .
I know someone with a Springer which does the same thing.

I think the behaviour may begin initially when a dog is bored and under stimulated. As you re homed Ringo I guess you may not know what kind of start she had in life.

This kind of behaviour is very difficult to break , all I can really suggest is to make sure Ringo has regular exercise also mental stimulation. This could be in the form of games also and well filled kong .

When she starts the unwanted behaviour distraction is the best cause of action and trying to avoid situation which lead to the behaviour . On thing I wouldn't do is to shout at Ringo when she is shadow chasing because this may heighten her sense of excitement /stress and make the problem worse.
I completely agree with this but also having a rescue collie with this type of behaviour (not shadows but hoovers, lawnmowers, hairdryers, clippers etc) I know that it is easier said than done. However, if you are dedicated to doing it, it is possible.

What you first need to do is work out what is the thing that your dog loves most - is it a favourite toy/game or food or attention? If you know what really gets her attention, this will be much easier.

I also agree with Mini that exercise and mental stimulation are extremely important. What sort of things do you do with Ringo?