Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2009, 02:22 PM

Collie pup chasing cars

Our 5 month old border collie has a really bad habit of almost launching herself out into traffic to chase cars/buses/lorries/anything really! She is good with roads and will sit at kerbs etc but when it comes to cars theres no stopping her!

I realise that because of her breed, it's in her to try and 'herd' things but I'm terrified of what would happen if she slipped out her collar!

We are planning on starting puppy training classes within the next week or so, and I am hoping to get her into flyball or agility eventually, but until then does anyone have any hints or tips on trying to stop this behaviour?!

Thanks,
Sarah
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2009, 03:16 PM
This is a hard one, having been through the self same thing with my young border collie bitch. It's really down to hard work and determination. I took advice from some Dogsey members on here and used the "leave it".

As a car comes towards you, and you have to time it just right, before your girl "reacts" head down, squat, or just a tensing, you shout "leave it" and make her sit. It is a long process but you will get there in the end.

Training classes will help with this too. One word though, don't try and bombard her with too much traffic at once. This will only overload her, start off with a quiet road, or get your OH to drive slowly past her and use the "leave it". It must be said in a different tone to your normal voice, Hope this helps.

Elaine
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Its difficult because the more she practices chasing cars the better she will be at it and the harder it will be for you to break it

I agree with practicing on a v quiet area
If you can keep her at a distance where she sees the car but before it is so close she might react - you might have to find a field next to a road so you can keep your distance

Whenever a car comes give her a lovely bit of chicken, then (if you want) you can ask for the sit then walk away - with her still calm
After a wee while when she sees the car she will start looking to you for the treat - then you can move a little closer to the road and repeate
If she fixates on the car and cannot take the chicken - or starts trying to pull you are too close - take 10 steps back and try again

and - the most difficult bit - if possible while you are training this dont walk her along roads with traffic - as you are setting her up to fail - she is not ready to cope with that much traffic that close yet

Another thing you could do is get her dinner and feed her at a distance away from a road that she can cope with, every day move slightly closer
You are feeding her then just going away - over time she should be able to eat her dinner by the road without bothering with the cars
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Traffic cahsing is such a rewarding behaviour for dogs.....car comes, dog chases, car goes away....(bit like the postman!)

I have found making sure you have some good attention and something she wants (food or tug toy - NOT throwing toy!) then getting her to turn to you really quick for that reward.

Then practising in Car park....although this might seem like her idea of heaven - beacuse the cars are slow moving or stationary, she will not be getting the reward of the chase.

It is a difficult problem to solve, but she is young and you are making a start ...

PS - pics would be nice
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks guys!

We're thinking of trying out the "leave it" option as she does respond well to commands... Possibly backed up with a treat or toy!

We need to walk down a short section of quiet road to get to our river walk (to the beach!) so will start practising there.

She's a clever girl so I'm sure she'll get there! Will keep you posted!

Sarah
xoxo
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Rare pic of Kia sitting still !!!

http://a05-b05.mypicturetown.com/P2P...item.JPG?rot=1

Thanks for all your advice, tried the "Leave it" technique tonight for the first time while walking Kia, I will keep with it and keep you posted..

Mike
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 07:59 AM
awwww Kia

Glad it's going well...keep us posted
xxxx
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Collies do enjoy chasing don't they - from an ethological viewpoint, that is what they were bred for (kind of) so I'd also suggest firstly, using the instincts by channelling them into a sport, game, or whatever. (Taking into account dog's age).That satisfies the welfare side of things, from the BCs point of view

I tend to use a similar way to Ben; desensitising at a distance the dog can cope with, and not going over threshold (dog reacting by barking/lunging/chasing) but keeping the dog just under and using high value food and toys.

It may be worth getting a good trainer involved, someone who does not use methods like throw chains or water sprays as they will be counter productive.

If you do teach Leave, train it properly without the car to start with and then gradually build it up after perfecting it in quieter, non car areas. I always use a normal voice and teach it by using the food method, followed by practice on toys, interesting sniffs and then moving objects and then would apply it to the problematic thing.

I worked on my BSD for cycle chasing (not the same, but similar) by using clicker training and click and treating for paying attention to me/ not barking or lunging, and so on.

Wys
x